Limit problem i don't understand

• Thread starter Sentience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of (x/(x+1))99 as x approaches infinity is 1. This can be found by dividing the numerator and denominator by x, taking the log of the expression, and using the continuity of the function and L'Hopital's Rule.
Sentience

Homework Statement

lim x ---> infinity (x/x+1)^99

(lim of x over (x+1) all raised to the 99th power)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in my solutions manual is 1. I'm so lost. Any tips would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know the limit of the inside is one if you use l'hopital but the 99 exponent is throwing me off

I haven't taken analysis yet, but I have taken Calculus I-II, and I think what you would do is this:

Divide the numerator and denominator by x. So at the numerator you now have 1. The denominator is now 1 + 1/x. When x goes to infinity 1/x will go to 0. So then you have (1/1)^99 = 1.

Sentience said:

Homework Statement

lim x ---> infinity (x/x+1)^99
Use more parentheses!
What you have inside the parentheses would reasonably be interpreted exactly the same as (x/x) + 1. I doubt that's what the problem showed.

The expression you're taking the limit of should be written as (x/(x + 1))99
Sentience said:
(lim of x over (x+1) all raised to the 99th power)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in my solutions manual is 1. I'm so lost. Any tips would be appreciated.

Your textbook should have some examples where they take the log of the limit expression, and then take the limit.

thank you eliya, that makes sense

Mark, first off sorry about the parentheses, i need to be specific

Second, i remember an example from class now. take the log, and move the 99 in front. From there, do you also use eliya's method of dividing everything by x? ( the (x/(x+1)) inside the log)

^99 is a continuous function so the limit can be moved inside.
Your book should have a lemma like
lim f(g(x))=f(lim g(x))
lim (g(x))^99=(lim g(x))^99

lurflurf said:
^99 is a continuous function so the limit can be moved inside.
Your book should have a lemma like
lim f(g(x))=f(lim g(x))
lim (g(x))^99=(lim g(x))^99

I had forgotten that too! Thank you very much

If a function is continuous and I take a limit "inside" can l'hopital's rule be used inside as well?

If the expression you're taking the limit of is suitable for L'Hopital's Rule, yes.

Sentience said:
If a function is continuous and I take a limit "inside" can l'hopital's rule be used inside as well?
That doesn't matter. If you have a limit expression that L'Hopital's can be used on, go for it. You've already switched the limit and ln operations.

Divide top and bottom by [tex](\frac{1}{x})^{99}}[/tex] and take the limit ...

1. What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept in calculus that deals with the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value of a function at a specific point, even if the function is undefined at that point.

2. How do I solve a limit problem?

To solve a limit problem, you need to first determine the type of limit (e.g. one-sided, infinite, etc.) and then use various techniques such as algebraic manipulations, substitution, and L'Hopital's rule to simplify the expression. Finally, you can evaluate the limit by plugging in the value of the input.

3. What is the purpose of limit problems?

The purpose of limit problems is to better understand the behavior of a function and how it changes as the input approaches a specific value. It is also used in applications such as finding the slope of a curve and calculating derivatives.

4. What are some common misconceptions about limit problems?

One common misconception is that the limit of a function must always equal the value of the function at that point. However, this is not always the case as the limit may not exist or may be different from the function value. Another misconception is that limits can only be solved using a specific method, when in reality there are multiple techniques that can be used.

5. How can I improve my understanding of limit problems?

To improve your understanding of limit problems, it is important to practice solving various types of limits and to familiarize yourself with the different techniques used to solve them. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or participating in study groups can also be beneficial in gaining a deeper understanding of limit problems.