Solving a Limit Problem: Can't Grasp the Solution

• Thread starter Tbarqawi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the problem is that the user is not allowed to use l'Hospital's rule and does not know how to solve the limit using a trigonometric identity. The user has a feeling that the limit is easy, but cannot figure it out. They seek help from a friend and explain that they are not allowed to use l'Hospital's rule and are having trouble with solving the limit.
Tbarqawi
So I've been trying to solve this limit problem for some time. Here is the problem:-
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{6sin(x) - 2sin(3x)}{tan^3(3x)}}
[/tex]

I cannot use l'hopital's rule to solve it. I've tried taking 2 as a factor, then trying to use a trig identity, but I couldn't figure a thing. Dividing by x doesn't work either.

I have a feeling this problem is easy, yet I can't grasp the solution. So I figured I would get some help here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tbarqawi said:
So I've been trying to solve this limit problem for some time. Here is the problem:-
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{6sin(x) - 2sin(3x)}{tan^3(3x)}}
[/tex]

I cannot use l'hopital's rule to solve it. I've tried taking 2 as a factor, then trying to use a trig identity, but I couldn't figure a thing. Dividing by x doesn't work either.

I have a feeling this problem is easy, yet I can't grasp the solution. So I figured I would get some help here.

Do you mean that you are not allowed to use l'Hospital's rule, or do you mean you don't know how to use it in this problem?

Yeah the textbook does not allow it.

Tbarqawi said:
Yeah the textbook does not allow it.

What ARE you allowed to use? If we don't know that we cannot make any sensible suggestions.

Ok, let me explain. The textbook has no mention of l'hopital's rule, thus we cannot use it. The way we are supposed to solve limits is by the "theorem" : the lim as x approaches 0 of sin(a*x) / sin(b*x) = a / b. To solve trigonometric limits, we use trigonometric identities usually to reach a state where we can use this theorem to "get rid" of what makes the denominator zero and then get the answer by substituting.

Can you decompose tan(x) into sin(x)/cos(x) and work from there?

Related to Solving a Limit Problem: Can't Grasp the Solution

What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value or infinity. It is commonly used in calculus to analyze the behavior of functions.

Why is it difficult to grasp the solution to a limit problem?

Solving a limit problem can be challenging because it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as limits, continuity, and derivatives. It may also involve complex algebraic and analytical techniques.

What are some common strategies for solving a limit problem?

Some common strategies for solving a limit problem include using algebraic manipulation, applying limit laws, using L'Hôpital's rule, and graphing the function to visualize its behavior.

What should I do if I can't solve a limit problem?

If you are struggling to solve a limit problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, or reviewing relevant mathematical concepts. You can also use online resources or practice problems to improve your understanding and problem-solving skills.

How can understanding limit problems be useful in real life?

Understanding limit problems can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and statistics. It allows for the analysis of rates of change and the behavior of functions, which can be applied to real-life situations such as predicting stock market trends or optimizing production processes.