Limit w/Tangent: Solve & Discuss

In summary, the limit \lim_{x \rightarrow 1}(1-x)\tan{\left(\frac{\pi x}{2}\right)} can be solved using L'Hospital rule and is equal to 2/pi. However, there is another approach by substituting x with y = x-1 and simplifying the limit to \frac{2}{\pi}. The same method can also be applied to solve the limit \lim_{x \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{3}}\left(\frac{\sin{\left(x-\frac{\pi}{3}\right)}}{1-2\cos{x}}\right).
dobry_den

Homework Statement

Solve the following limit:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1}(1-x)\tan{\left(\frac{\pi x}{2}\right)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it using L'Hospital rule, it's equal to 2/pi, but is there any other way how to solve it? thanks a lot!

The same question would apply to

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{3}}\left(\frac{\sin{\left(x-\frac{\pi}{3}\right)}}{1-2\cos{x}}\right)[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I've finally found a different way how to solve it... I post it here since it can be useful to someone..

I substituted x with y = x-1, and then after some steps I've arrived at the following limit:

[tex]\lim_{y \rightarrow 0}\frac{\frac{\pi}{2}y}{\sin{\frac{\pi}{2}y}}\frac{2}{\pi}\cos{\frac{\pi}{2}y} = \frac{2}{\pi}[/tex]

Related to Limit w/Tangent: Solve & Discuss

1. What is the definition of a limit with tangent?

A limit with tangent is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific point. It is represented by the notation lim x→a f(x) and can be thought of as the value that a function is "approaching" as x gets closer and closer to a particular value, a.

2. How do you solve a limit with tangent?

To solve a limit with tangent, you can use the tangent line equation, which is y = f(a) + f'(a)(x - a). First, plug in the given value for a into the equation to find the y-coordinate of the point of tangency. Then, use the derivative of the function, f'(x), to find the slope of the tangent line at that point. Finally, plug in the values for x, y, and the slope into the equation to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. What are some common applications of limits with tangent?

Limits with tangent are commonly used in calculus to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. They are also used in physics to calculate instantaneous velocity and acceleration. In engineering, they are used to determine the rates of change in various systems such as temperature, pressure, and flow rate.

4. Can a limit with tangent have multiple solutions?

No, a limit with tangent can only have one solution. This is because a tangent line can only intersect a curve at one point. If there were multiple solutions, it would mean that the tangent line would intersect the curve at more than one point, which is not possible.

5. What are some common misconceptions about limits with tangent?

One common misconception is that a limit with tangent always exists. However, this is not always the case. If a function has a vertical asymptote at the point of tangency, the limit with tangent will not exist. Another misconception is that the tangent line must be horizontal. In reality, the tangent line can have any slope and still be considered a tangent line.