Limiting and Excess Reactants in Redox

• Thread starter susan__t
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary, the question asks for the amount of H2 gas produced when 1.00g of Mn reacts with an excess of 6.00M HCl. Using the reaction equation, it can be determined that 0.0182 mol of Mn is consumed, producing 0.0273 mol of H2 gas. By using the density of hydrogen gas, the volume of H2 gas produced is found to be 0.612L. However, it is unlikely that Mn will be oxidized to Mn3+ with hydrochloric acid.
susan__t

Homework Statement

Suppose 1.00g of Mn Reacts with an excess of 6.00M HCl, how many grams of H2 gas is produced?
What volume hydrogen gas is produced by this reaction?

Homework Equations

density of hydrogen gas is 0.08988g/L
conditions: 0 degrees celsius, 1 atm pressure

The Attempt at a Solution

First I wrote the reaction out

2Mn +6HCl -> 2MnCl3 +3H2

Then this is where I ran into some confusion. Does the 6.00M solution have any effect on the amount of hydrogen produced? I assumed it did not and then went on to find the moles of Mn ( 0.0182 mol) and used the molar ratio of 2:3 to find out the moles of hydrogen gas (0.0273 mol).

I then determined the grams of hydrogen gas and then used a comparison ratio between it and the density of hydrogen gas to find the volume which I determined to be 0.612L.

I just require some verification, from what I remember the limiting reactant is what determines the amount of moles produced

Physics news on Phys.org
You are OK being wrong :wink:

Calculations are correct, but I doubt you will be able to oxidize Mn to Mn3+ with hydrochloric acid.

in a reaction. In this case, the limiting reactant would be Mn since it is the reactant with the smaller amount (1.00g compared to the excess of HCl). Therefore, the amount of H2 gas produced would be determined by the amount of Mn present, and the excess HCl would not affect the amount of H2 gas produced. Your calculations and reasoning seem correct. It is important to remember that the limiting reactant is the one that is completely consumed in the reaction, while the excess reactant is left over. In this case, the excess HCl would not have any effect on the amount of H2 gas produced, as you correctly determined. Good job on your calculations and understanding of limiting and excess reactants in redox reactions. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a limiting reactant in a redox reaction?

A limiting reactant is the substance in a redox reaction that is completely consumed first and limits the amount of product that can be formed. It determines the maximum yield of the reaction.

2. How do you determine the limiting reactant in a redox reaction?

To determine the limiting reactant, you must first write out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, calculate the number of moles of each reactant present. The reactant with the lower number of moles is the limiting reactant.

3. What is an excess reactant in a redox reaction?

An excess reactant is the substance in a redox reaction that is not completely consumed and is left over once the limiting reactant is completely used up. It does not affect the amount of product formed.

4. How do you calculate the amount of excess reactant in a redox reaction?

To calculate the amount of excess reactant, you must first determine the limiting reactant. Then, use stoichiometry to calculate the amount of excess reactant that remains after the reaction is complete.

5. How does the concept of limiting and excess reactants apply to real-world situations?

The concept of limiting and excess reactants is important in industrial processes, as it helps determine the amount of raw materials needed and the maximum yield that can be obtained. It is also relevant in everyday life, such as when cooking or baking, as using the correct amount of ingredients is crucial for the desired outcome.