What Determines the Limiting Reactant in a Chemical Reaction?

• Thread starter Chandasouk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the limiting reactant and the excess reactant in a reaction between aluminum and oxygen. The balanced equation is given and the number of moles of 2Al2O3 produced by each reactant is calculated. It is determined that aluminum is the limiting reactant. The conversation then goes on to discuss the mole ratios of Al to O2 and the amount of excess reactant present at the end of the reaction. The final statement suggests using a reverse approach to calculate the amount of Al2O3 produced from a given amount of O2.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

A mixture of 82.49g of aluminum and 117.65g of oxygen is allowed to react. Find the limiting reactant and determine the mass of the excess reactant present in the vessel when the reaction is complete.

Balanced Equation is 4Al(s) + 3O2 ----> 2Al2O3

I found that Aluminum produces 1.56 mol of 2Al2O3

and Oxygen produces 2.45 mol of 2Al2O3

So, Aluminum is the limiting reactant. I do not know how to find out the grams of Oxygen from here though.

I've been wondering since I could not do this on my first Chem exam.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the mole ratio of Al to O2 for the these elements available to react? What is the mole ratio of Al to O2 for the theoretical written reaction? Compare these and decide which element is the limiting reactant. How many moles of the excess reactant are present at completion of the reaction? Convert this back to grams.

I don't understand your answer. How many moles of aluminum in 82.49 g? How many moles of O2 in 117.65 g? Start from there.

That's (almost) OK - 82.49 g Al -> 3.057 moles of Al -> 1.529 moles of Al2O3 - I suppose 1.56 is just a typo or math error, as results for oxygen are OK.

Chandasouk: you know how to calculate amount of Al2O3 form a given amount of O2, all you have to do is to reverse the approach. Same reaction equaton, same coefficients, just switch kgiven and unknown.

--
methods

What is a limiting reactant?

A limiting reactant is the substance in a chemical reaction that is completely used up and therefore limits the amount of product that can be formed.

How do I identify the limiting reactant?

To identify the limiting reactant, you must compare the amount of each reactant present and determine which one will run out first. This can be done by using stoichiometric calculations or by visually examining the reactants and products in the reaction.

Why is the limiting reactant important in a chemical reaction?

The limiting reactant is important because it determines the amount of product that can be formed in a reaction. Without knowing the limiting reactant, it is impossible to accurately predict the yield of the reaction.

What happens to the excess reactant in a limiting reactant problem?

The excess reactant is the reactant that is not completely used up in a reaction. It will remain in the reaction mixture and will not contribute to the formation of additional product. It is important to take into account the excess reactant when calculating the percent yield of a reaction.

Can the limiting reactant change in a reaction?

Yes, the limiting reactant can change in a reaction if the amounts of reactants are altered. This can occur if additional reactant is added or if one of the reactants is used up before the others. It is important to recalculate the limiting reactant if any changes are made to the reaction conditions.