1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits at Infinity for the Argument Function in Complex Variables

1. May 25, 2013 #1
    ℂI am working on an assignment and have come across a question that I'm not quite sure how to approach. Here it is, with my "solution" and reasoning:

"[F]ind the limit at ∞ of the given function, or explain why it does not exist.

24. [itex]h(z) = Arg z , z \neq 0[/itex]
    " (Complex Variables Second Edition by Stephen D. Fisher; pg. 41-42)

First I would like to check my understanding of the function Arg(z). Arg(z) is the principal argument of z. It is the value [itex]\theta_{o}[/itex] in the interval [itex][-\pi, \pi)[/itex]that satisfies the equation [itex]z = |z|(cos\theta + isin\theta)[/itex].

However, unlike the notion of positive and negative infinity in ℝ, there exist an infinite number of infinities in ℂ, each corresponding to a different value of θ. As a result, I argue that:

[itex]\stackrel{lim}{z\rightarrow∞} h(z) = \stackrel{lim}{z\rightarrow∞} Arg z, z \neq 0 = Arg ∞ = θ [/itex]

This is true because there are an infinite number of infinities in ℂ; so θ is any element of the set [itex]\theta_{o} = [-\pi, \pi)[/itex].

Is this the correct approach to this question or am I missing something crucial? This question is a bit "tricky" for me. Does the restriction [itex]z \neq 0 [/itex] limit the solution (ie. does it remove a particular solution from the set described above, or is that simply because the function Arg is not defined for z = 0? (I believe its the latter, but better to be sure!)

Thanks for any and all responses! :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Tsunoyukami! :smile:
    Yes, it's simply because the function Arg is not defined for z = 0, and has nothing to do with limits at ∞.
    That's correct.
    That's basically correct, but it would be more straightforward to say that z can approach ∞ along any line of argz = C for any constant 0 ≤ C < 2π, and the limit along that line will be that constant, C …

since that applies for any such C, the limit is undefined. :wink:

4. May 26, 2013 #3
    Thanks a lot!

After reading "the limit is undefined" I thought to myself: why didn't I realize that? Thanks again! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted