1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits of Multivariable equations

1. Oct 24, 2005 #1
    I need to find the limit as x,y->0 of (x^2+y^2)(ln(x^2+2y^2)) anylitically.
    since the limit of this is 0(-infinity) which is indeterminant .. I tried to approach it along the line y=x which gives:
    lim(x->0) of [2x^2*ln(3x^2)]. Again, that gives 0(-infinity). Now, I haven't done calculus in 6 months .. I know I need to get it to a quotient indeterminant form in order to be able to use l'hopital's rule ..
    I tried:
    lim (x->0) of [2x^2/(ln(3x^2)^-1] but that gives 0/(1/(-infinity) .. that's indeterminant, so I can take the derivitive, and get:
    lim (x->0) of [4x/(-1(ln(3x^2)^-2)(1/(3x^2))(6x)] :yuck:
    which is
    lim (x->0) of [(4x*3x^2)/(-6xln(3x^2)^-2)] which is 0/0 ..
    I don't think this is getting me anywhere. Any ideas on how to make this work? :yuck: Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Instead of changing [itex]\ln\left(3x^2\right)[/itex] to [itex]\left(\ln\left(3x^2\right)\right)^{-1}[/itex], try changing [itex]2x^2[/itex] to [itex]\left(2x^2\right)^{-1}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?