LimitsNever seen a problem like this?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of a function as x approaches 4. The given equation is used to determine that the limit of f(x) is 7. There is a brief discussion about algebraic manipulation and the importance of checking the validity of each step when working with limits.
Saladsamurai
If [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow4}\frac{f(x)-5}{x-2}=1[/tex]

Find [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow4}f(x)[/tex]?

I have know idea how to start this. I am assuming that I cannot just treat the Left-hand-side as an algebraic expression right?

That is, i cannot just multiply both sides by (x-2)...add 5...etc..right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
If [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow4}\frac{f(x)-5}{x-2}=1[/tex]

Find [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow4}f(x)[/tex]?

I have know idea how to start this. I am assuming that I cannot just treat the Left-hand-side as an algebraic expression right?

That is, i cannot just multiply both sides by (x-2)...add 5...etc..right?

[tex] \lim_{x\to 4} \frac{f(x)-5}{x-2} = 1 \Rightarrow lim_{x\to 4} f(x)=7 [/tex]

Don't be put off by limits and function notation, as x tends to the limit of 4 the mapping is simply a number you could call this number y. As the denominator tends to 2 the quotient tends to 1 hence f(x) tends to 7.

Edit:

If you wanted to this with algebra I suppose you could

[tex]\lim_{x\to 4} f(x)-5 = \lim_{x\to 4}x-2[/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x\to 4} f(x)-5 = 2 [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x\to 4} f(x) = 7 [/tex]

Hmmm... Interesting. I don't know what a mapping is :redface: , but I think I follow you anyway.

Saladsamurai said:
That is, i cannot just multiply both sides by (x-2)
You're correct -- you cannot do this, it wouldn't make sense.

However, you could multiply by the limit of (x-2) as x approaches 4...

(And make sure you check that each step in your calculation is valid! Make sure to pay attention to the hypotheses of your limit laws)

Hurkyl said:
You're correct -- you cannot do this, it wouldn't make sense.

However, you could multiply by the limit of (x-2) as x approaches 4...

(And make sure you check that each step in your calculation is valid! Make sure to pay attention to the hypotheses of your limit laws)

Oooohhh...sweet idea! I am going to do this :smile:

Luongo said:
isolate f(x) in the 1st one then solve the limit.

Hurkyl gave a correct approach to this problem. You cannot arbitrarily isolate the limit of f(x) by assuming the limit of the numerator exists when analyzing the limit of a fraction in which the limit of the denominator exists; there is no such theorem. In fact, there is a theorem detailing conditions under which given a product f(x)g(x), the limit of the product exists and the limit of one of the factors exists, but the limit of the other factor does not (and thus cannot be simply factored out in analyzing the product). Limits are very delicate objects and must be treated with care.

Last edited by a moderator:
slider142 said:
Hurkyl gave a correct approach to this problem. You cannot arbitrarily isolate the limit of f(x) by assuming the limit of the numerator exists; there is no such theorem. In fact, there is a theorem detailing conditions under which given a product f(x)g(x), the limit of the product exists, but the limit of one component does not (and thus cannot be simply factored out in analyzing the product). Limits are very delicate objects and must be treated with care.

yes but i am explaining the relations between the notion of isolating the variable which is analogous to the case here

Luongo said:
yes but i am explaining the relations between the notion of isolating the variable which is analogous to the case here
And the opening poster had already noticed the analogy. All he needed was the extra hint to see how to turn it into a valid argument.

Off-topic discussion ends here.

What is the concept of limits in science?

Limits in science refer to the boundaries or constraints within which a phenomenon or process operates. It is the maximum or minimum value that a system, experiment, or theory can reach.

How are limits used in scientific research?

Limits are used in scientific research to establish the boundaries of a study or experiment. They help define the scope and parameters of the research and provide a framework for drawing conclusions and making predictions.

What is the difference between absolute and relative limits?

Absolute limits refer to fixed boundaries that cannot be exceeded, such as the speed of light in physics. Relative limits, on the other hand, are relative to a specific context or reference point and can be surpassed in certain circumstances.

Can limits change over time?

Yes, limits can change over time as new information and advancements in technology and understanding are made. The boundaries of what was once thought to be impossible may shift as we expand our knowledge and capabilities.

How do scientists determine the limits of a system or process?

Scientists use various methods such as experimentation, observation, and mathematical models to determine the limits of a system or process. They may also consider external factors and variables that can affect the boundaries of a phenomenon.