1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lin. Alg. Subspaces Problem

1. Apr 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Let W be the set of all ordereed pairs of real numbers, and consider the following addition and scalar multiplication operations on U=(u1,u2) and V=(v1,v2)

U+V is standard addition but kU=(0, ku2)

2. Relevant equations Is W closed under scalar multiplication?

3. The attempt at a solution I understand that W is not a vector space but my book suggests that it is a subspace closed by scalar multiplication.

Is it because kU=(k0, ku2) where k multiplies both terms?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Being closed under scalar multiplication just means that if [itex]w \in W[/itex] and [itex]k \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] then [itex]k w \in W[/itex].
    Since W doesn't really have any restrictions, you only need to check that (0, ku2) is an ordered pair of real numbers.

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3
    Is [tex] kU \, = \, (0, ku_{2})[/tex] an ordered pair of reals ? Also, does W contain the zero vector ?

5. Apr 8, 2013 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's pretty strange to talk about subspaces here, since W isn't defined as a subset of a vector space. It's just defined as a set with two operations which may or may not turn it into a vector space.

If it turns out to be closed under both addition and (this non-standard) scalar multiplication, then you can check if it satisfies the eight vector space axioms, to see if it's a vector space.

6. Apr 8, 2013 #5
    Thanks for the help! That solves it for me completely! I thoroughly didn't understand the definitions of subspace and what they mean and represent, so this simple explanation really clears up a big misconception that I had.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted