Line current three phase motor in six step commutation

In summary, line current in a three-phase motor refers to the total current that flows through each of the three phases, while six-step commutation is the process of switching the current flow between phases to create a rotating magnetic field. This method is used because it is simple, efficient, and cost-effective, providing smooth and continuous torque output for industrial and commercial applications.
Trainee28
Hello,

I have got a three phase motor connected in delta that is controlled in six step commutation. When I measure the line current of one of the phase under oscilloscope, I got something like this :
upload_2015-6-18_13-58-52.png

Can anyone tell me why the amplitude of the current isn't 3.1A and -3.1A? What I got here is 3.1A and -4.1A which is not symetrical.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm worried about the spikes when the signal = -4A. Could be that it is trying to come up with -3.1A, but it cannot ( connection lost again ).

Bad soldering in your drive?

1. What is line current in a three-phase motor?

The line current in a three-phase motor refers to the current that flows through each of the three phases of the motor. It is the total current that is drawn from the power source to operate the motor.

2. What is six-step commutation in a three-phase motor?

Six-step commutation in a three-phase motor refers to the process of switching the current flow from one phase to another in a sequential manner. This is done to create a rotating magnetic field, which is what drives the motor.

3. How does six-step commutation work in a three-phase motor?

Six-step commutation works by switching the current flow between the phases of the motor in a specific sequence. This creates a rotating magnetic field that interacts with the stator and rotor of the motor to produce motion.

4. Why is six-step commutation used in three-phase motors?

Six-step commutation is used in three-phase motors because it is a simple and effective way to create a rotating magnetic field. This allows for smooth and efficient operation of the motor, making it a popular choice for many industrial and commercial applications.

5. What are the advantages of using line current and six-step commutation in a three-phase motor?

Using line current and six-step commutation in a three-phase motor has several advantages. It allows for efficient and reliable operation of the motor, reduces the need for additional components, and provides a smooth and continuous torque output. Additionally, it is a cost-effective solution for powering large industrial and commercial machinery.