Line integral across a vector field

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem that can be solved using Green's theorem, but the region is not suitable for its application due to the vector field not being defined at the origin. The suggestion was made to break the problem into two integrals and evaluate each path separately before adding them together.
clandarkfire
I've attached the problem as a picture.
Capture.PNG

Generally, this would be a simple problem if I were to apply Green's theorem. But I can't use Green because D would not be a simply connected closed region; the vector field isn't defined at the origin.
Could someone please give me an idea of where to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
clandarkfire said:
I've attached the problem as a picture.
View attachment 52525
Generally, this would be a simple problem if I were to apply Green's theorem. But I can't use Green because D would not be a simply connected closed region; the vector field isn't defined at the origin.
Could someone please give me an idea of where to start?

Break it up into two integrals and evaluate each path separately and then add them together.

1. What is a line integral across a vector field?

A line integral across a vector field is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total value of a vector field along a specific path or curve.

2. How is a line integral across a vector field calculated?

A line integral across a vector field is calculated by integrating the dot product of the vector field and the infinitesimal displacement vector along the chosen path or curve.

3. What is the significance of a line integral across a vector field in physics?

In physics, line integrals across vector fields are used to calculate the work done by a force along a specific path or the flow of a fluid along a curve.

4. Can a line integral across a vector field be negative?

Yes, a line integral across a vector field can be negative if the direction of the vector field and the chosen path are opposite.

5. How is a line integral across a vector field related to a surface integral?

A line integral across a vector field is the one-dimensional analogue of a surface integral, which calculates the flux of a vector field through a two-dimensional surface. Both involve integrating over a certain region, but a line integral involves integrating along a curve while a surface integral involves integrating over a surface.