Line integral: how can it be > 0?

In summary, the line integral in 3-d space can give a result > 0, even though its width is arbitrary. This arbitrary width is due to the weighting applied to the length measurement.
oneamp
Using my understanding of calculus, I don't understand why line integrals in 3-d space
can give a result > 0. You are following a line and integrating under that line. The line
has some length. But according to my understanding of calculus, it does not have a width.
What is this arbitrary width, and where does it come from?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine a line segment ##[a,b]##. Its length is ##b-a##. If we embed this line segment in 3-d space, then its length is still ##b-a##. Of course, its area and volume are zero. The line integral is measuring length (perhaps with a nonuniform weighting applied), not area or volume.

Yes, that's where I get confused. It measures length with a non-uniform weight applied. Let's say that weight is the height. We have a length and a height. But the area is length*width*height, integrate to solve the integral. But width is zero, so the integral should be zero. What am I missing?

Area is a 2-dimensional measure: length*height. If you calculate length*width*height, you are measuring volume, not area.

Think about a very thin sheet of paper suspended in 3-dimensional space. To measure its area, I multiply length*height to get, say, 100 square inches. To measure its volume, I multiply length*height*width to get zero. Both calculations are legitimate, depending on what it is you are trying to measure.

oneamp said:
Yes, that's where I get confused. It measures length with a non-uniform weight applied. Let's say that weight is the height. We have a length and a height. But the area is length*width*height,

That would be a volume. Area is always a product of two lengths.

integrate to solve the integral. But width is zero, so the integral should be zero. What am I missing?

A line integral is best thought of as
[tex]\sum (\mbox{quantity per unit length})(\mbox{small length along a curve}).[/tex]
It's true that we can find the signed area bounded by the curve [itex]y = f(x)[/itex], the line [itex]y = 0[/itex] and the lines [itex]x = a[/itex] and [itex]x = b[/itex] by
[tex]
\sum (\mbox{perpendicular distance of $(x,f(x))$ from $x = 0$})(\mbox{small length along $x$ axis})
[/tex]
to get [itex]\int_a^b f(x)\,dx[/itex], and that's what motivates the formal definition of the Riemann integral*, but from a physical point of view one has really
[tex]
\sum (\mbox{small area on the $(x,y)$ plane})
[/tex]
which is a special case of a surface integral, which can be thought of as
[tex]
\sum (\mbox{quantity per unit area})(\mbox{small area on a surface}).
[/tex]

Similarly one can have a volume integral, which may be thought of as
[tex]
\sum (\mbox{quantity per unit volume})(\mbox{small volume}).
[/tex]

*One could equally well motivate the Riemann integral as
[tex]
(\mbox{position}) = \sum (\mbox{instantaneous velocity})(\mbox{short time})
[/tex]

Thanks

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral used in multivariable calculus to calculate the total change of a scalar or vector field along a specific path or curve.

2. How can a line integral be greater than 0?

A line integral can be greater than 0 if the function being integrated is positive over the entire curve or if the function has both positive and negative values but the positive values outweigh the negative values over the curve.

3. Can a line integral be negative?

Yes, a line integral can be negative if the function being integrated has more negative values than positive values over the curve.

4. What is the significance of a line integral being greater than 0?

A line integral being greater than 0 indicates that the function being integrated has a net positive change over the curve. This could represent a physical quantity such as work or flux, depending on the context of the problem.

5. How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by dividing the curve into small segments and approximating the integral using the Riemann sum method. As the number of segments approaches infinity, the approximation becomes more accurate and the line integral can be found using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.