Solving Squirrel Work Problem with Line Integral Setup

In summary, the squirrel climbed a cylindrical tree by following the helical path. The weight of the squirrel pointed straight down, meaning that the force of gravity was the only force acting on the squirrel. The potential energy of the squirrel was calculated to be mgΔh, which is the work done by gravity on the squirrel.
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

A squirrel weighing 1.2 pounds climbed a cylindrical tree by following the helical path

[itex]x = \cos{t}, y = \sin{t}, z = 4t, 0 \leq t \leq 8 \pi [/itex]
(distance measured in feet)

How much work did it do?

Homework Equations

[itex]\int_{C} \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've defined a curve [itex]C[/itex] by the vector

[itex]\vec{r}(t) = \cos{t} \vec{i} + \sin{t} \vec{j} + 4t \vec{k}[/itex],
[itex]0 \leq t \leq 8 \pi[/itex]

I'm not sure where to go from here. Specifically, I don't know how to use the weight of the squirrel. Every other problem I've worked on explicitly gave me a vector field to work with.

I know the bounds of the integral will be from 0 to 8π, and that r'(t) will be used.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The squirrel's weight points straight down. Try ##\vec F = \langle 0,0,-1.2\rangle##. And remember the line integral gives the work done by the force. You should be able to check your answer by comparing the change in potential energy.

Got it, thanks.

So I should get my answer with the following integral:

[itex]W = \int^{8\pi}_{0} (0\vec{i} + 0\vec{j} - 1.2\vec{k}) \cdot (-\sin{t}\vec{i} + \cos{t}\vec{j} + 4\vec{k}) dt ?[/itex]

This isn't for a physics course, and we haven't learned anything about potential energy. If the integral's setup is right, though, I can't take it from there.

I'm not still new at line integrals so take this with a grain of salt.
SithsNGiggles said:
So I should get my answer with the following integral:

[itex]W = \int^{8\pi}_{0} (0\vec{i} + 0\vec{j} - 1.2\vec{k}) \cdot (-\sin{t}\vec{i} + \cos{t}\vec{j} + 4\vec{k}) dt ?[/itex]
Take the dot product inside the integral, and integrate the answer.

This isn't for a physics course, and we haven't learned anything about potential energy. If the integral's setup is right, though, I can't take it from there.
Potential energy close to the Earth is [itex]E_p=mgh[/itex] so [itex]W=mgΔh[/itex] with m being mass, g gravitational acceleration and h is the heigth.

Sorry, I meant I can take it from there. Thanks though!

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total value of a function along a particular path or curve.

2. How can line integrals be used to solve squirrel work problems?

Line integrals can be used to calculate the work done by a squirrel as it moves along a particular path, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of the squirrel's movement.

3. What is the setup for solving a squirrel work problem with line integrals?

The setup involves defining a vector field that represents the force exerted by the squirrel, determining the path of movement, and setting up the appropriate line integral formula to calculate the work done.

4. What factors should be considered when setting up a line integral for a squirrel work problem?

Some factors to consider include the magnitude and direction of the force exerted by the squirrel, the path of movement, and any other external forces that may affect the squirrel's work.

5. Can line integrals be used to solve other types of work problems?

Yes, line integrals can be used to solve a variety of work problems, such as calculating the work done by a force field on an object or the work required to move an object against a force field.