Line Integral of F(x,y,z) over Unit Circle

In summary: The problem is that "c(t)= (cos(t), sin(t))" is two dimensional and you CAN'T integerate a 3 dimensional vector function over a two dimensional path. Are you interpreting that to mean that it must be (cos(t), sin(t), 0)?
stanford1463

Homework Statement

What is the line integral of F(x,y,z) = (xy, x, xyz) over the unit circle c(t) = (cost, sint) t E (0,2pi) ?

Homework Equations

integral= (f(c(t))*c'(t))dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I tried solving this like I would any other line integral using the given equation, but it does not work, since I am taking a 3D function on a 2D function (circle) ? So...f(c(t)) cannot be anything?? As cos t can be x, sint can be y, but what is z?? I know you take the dot product, and solve, taking the integral, but I cannot figure out how to find f(c(t)) as one function has 3 variables and the other has 2? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
z is zero. The circle is (cos(t),sin(t),0). The dimensions have to match or you can't take a dot product. If one is three dimensional the other must be as well, even if they don't spell it out.

Ok thanks! But what if it's something like F(x,y,z)=(xy, x/z, y/z) ? Then if you plug in 0, you get a denominator of zero...

stanford1463 said:
Ok thanks! But what if it's something like F(x,y,z)=(xy, x/z, y/z) ? Then if you plug in 0, you get a denominator of zero...
Didn't you read Dick's response? The problem is that "c(t)= (cos(t), sin(t))" is two dimensional and you CAN'T integerate a 3 dimensional vector function over a two dimensional path. Are you interpreting that to mean that it must be (cos(t), sin(t), 0)? There is no reason to assume that because z is not mentioned, it must be 0. You MUST have some equation involving z, perhaps "z= 0", perhaps "z= 1", in order that the path be defined in three dimensions.

I guess I automatically think of THE Unit Circle, as lying in the x-y plane. But Halls is right, they should have specified a z value.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in mathematics that involves integrating a function along a path or curve. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given distance or area.

2. What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin (0,0) on a coordinate plane. It is often used in mathematics and physics to simplify calculations and represent geometric concepts.

3. How is the line integral of a function over the unit circle calculated?

The line integral of a function over the unit circle is calculated by parameterizing the unit circle, which means representing it using a set of equations. Then, the function is integrated over the parameterized curve using the appropriate formula.

4. What does the line integral of a function over the unit circle represent?

The line integral of a function over the unit circle represents the total value of the function along the path of the unit circle. It can be thought of as the sum of the function values at each point along the curve, weighted by the length of the curve at that point.

5. Why is the unit circle commonly used when calculating line integrals?

The unit circle is commonly used when calculating line integrals because it simplifies the calculations and allows for easy visualization and interpretation of the results. Additionally, many functions can be easily parameterized using the unit circle, making it a useful tool in solving line integral problems.