Line Integrals

• Thread starter ferret123
  • Start date

Homework Statement

don't know the line integral latex code but;

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\underline{r}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex]d[itex]\underline{r}[/itex]

from (a,0,0) to (a,0,2∏b) on the circular helix [itex]\underline{r}[/itex] = (acos(λ), asin(λ), bλ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Its the multiple use of the position vector r in the question thats confusing me. So far i've tried paramaterising the original integral as (r cross dr/dλ)dλ with dr/dλ being the derivative of the circular helix however I am confused as to whether the r in the integral is the same as the one describing the helix.

Am I on the right track or will i need to use another method?

Answers and Replies

CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

don't know the line integral latex code but;

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\underline{r}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex]d[itex]\underline{r}[/itex]

from (a,0,0) to (a,0,2∏b) on the circular helix [itex]\underline{r}[/itex] = (acos(λ), asin(λ), bλ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Its the multiple use of the position vector r in the question thats confusing me. So far i've tried paramaterising the original integral as (r cross dr/dλ)dλ with dr/dλ being the derivative of the circular helix however I am confused as to whether the r in the integral is the same as the one describing the helix.

Am I on the right track or will i need to use another method?
The r given to you is the parametric representation of the helix. It is easy to check that this is a suitable parametrisation.