Circular Helix Line Integral: Solving with r and dr/dλ

In summary, the question asks for the line integral code for the circular helix \underline{r} = (acos(λ), asin(λ), bλ) from (a,0,0) to (a,0,2∏b), and the student is confused about the use of the position vector r in the integral. They have attempted to parameterize the integral, but are unsure if the r in the integral is the same as the one describing the helix.
ferret123

Homework Statement

don't know the line integral latex code but;

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\underline{r}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex]d[itex]\underline{r}[/itex]

from (a,0,0) to (a,0,2∏b) on the circular helix [itex]\underline{r}[/itex] = (acos(λ), asin(λ), bλ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Its the multiple use of the position vector r in the question that's confusing me. So far I've tried paramaterising the original integral as (r cross dr/dλ)dλ with dr/dλ being the derivative of the circular helix however I am confused as to whether the r in the integral is the same as the one describing the helix.

Am I on the right track or will i need to use another method?

Physics news on Phys.org
ferret123 said:

Homework Statement

don't know the line integral latex code but;

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\underline{r}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex]d[itex]\underline{r}[/itex]

from (a,0,0) to (a,0,2∏b) on the circular helix [itex]\underline{r}[/itex] = (acos(λ), asin(λ), bλ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Its the multiple use of the position vector r in the question that's confusing me. So far I've tried paramaterising the original integral as (r cross dr/dλ)dλ with dr/dλ being the derivative of the circular helix however I am confused as to whether the r in the integral is the same as the one describing the helix.

Am I on the right track or will i need to use another method?

The r given to you is the parametric representation of the helix. It is easy to check that this is a suitable parametrisation.

1. What is a circular helix line integral?

A circular helix line integral is a mathematical concept used to solve for the total distance traveled along a helix curve. It takes into account both the distance traveled along the curve and the rate of change of the curve at every point.

2. How is a circular helix line integral solved?

A circular helix line integral is solved by using the formula ∫r√(1+(dr/dλ)^2)dλ, where r represents the radius of the helix and dr/dλ represents the rate of change of the helix at each point. This formula is integrated over the range of λ values to find the total distance traveled along the helix.

3. What is the significance of using r and dr/dλ in a circular helix line integral?

R and dr/dλ are used in a circular helix line integral because they represent the two components of the helix curve - the distance traveled along the curve (r) and the rate of change of the curve at each point (dr/dλ). By incorporating both of these components, the line integral takes into account the changing nature of the curve and calculates the total distance traveled more accurately.

4. Can a circular helix line integral be used for any type of helix curve?

Yes, a circular helix line integral can be used for any type of helix curve, as long as the curve can be expressed in terms of a radius (r) and a rate of change (dr/dλ). This includes circular, elliptical, and spiral helix curves.

5. What are some real-world applications of circular helix line integrals?

Circular helix line integrals have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to calculate the total distance traveled by a moving object along a helix trajectory, the amount of work done by a force acting along a helix path, and the path of a particle in a magnetic field. They are also used in designing and animating helix-shaped objects in computer-generated images.