What is the longest wavelength for ionizing ground state hydrogen atom?

In summary, it is possible to use electromagnetic radiation to ionize atoms by having the atoms absorb radiation with enough energy to remove an electron. The longest wavelength that can be used to ionize the ground state hydrogen atom is 91.3 nm, according to the Lyman series formula. This requires the photon to have enough energy to move the electron from energy level 1 to "infinity."
Dart82

Homework Statement

Is it possible to use electromagnetic radiation to ionize atoms. To do so, the atoms must absorb the radiation, the photons of which must have enough energy to remove an electron from an atom. What is the longest radiation wavelength (nm) that can be used to ionize the ground state hydrogen atom?

Homework Equations

Lyman Series:
1/lambda = R {(1/nf^2) - (1/ni^2)}

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my notes, the lyman series consists of transitions TO the ground state (n=1) starting with the first excited state (n=2). What i am having trouble with here is that when they say "What is the longest wavelength that can be used to ionize the ground state hydrogen?" Are they asking what wavelength of radiation will cause hydrogen to go from n=1 to n=0? Should i be using the Balmer or Paschen series instead of the Lyman? I know how to work the math part of the problem but i am confused as to what values i should be using for n.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are initially in the ground state, then to remove the electron you need to raise it past all of the bound states. You could sort of say you want to move it to n=infinity.

What you need to know is the energy defecit of the elctron in the ground state. Each level has a negative energy associated with it. In hydrogen, n=1 , the deficit is -13.6 eV. Guess how much energy the photon must have to free this electron?

For the Lyman formula to work, you are going from energy level 1 to energy level "infinity," not to zero.

edit: Dang. Beat again.

Last edited:
how does this look?

lambda = R [(1/infinity)-(1/1^2)]^-1
lambda= 9.12x10^-8 meters or 91.2 nm

Nope. It's 91.3 nm:biggrin:

got it right finally. thanks

1. What is a line spectrum?

A line spectrum is a series of discrete lines of different colors or wavelengths that appear when an element is heated or excited. Each line corresponds to a specific energy level or transition within the atom.

2. How is line spectra related to Bohr's model?

Bohr's model of the atom explains the line spectrum by proposing that electrons exist in discrete energy levels or orbits around the nucleus. When an electron jumps from one energy level to another, it emits or absorbs a specific amount of energy in the form of a photon, which corresponds to a specific wavelength or color in the line spectrum.

3. What is the significance of the line spectrum?

The line spectrum is significant because it provides evidence for the quantization of energy in atoms, which means that energy levels are discrete and not continuous. This was a major breakthrough in understanding the behavior of atoms and led to the development of quantum mechanics.

4. Can line spectra be used to identify elements?

Yes, each element has a unique line spectrum, similar to a fingerprint. By analyzing the colors or wavelengths of the lines in the spectrum, scientists can identify the elements present in a sample.

5. Are there any limitations to Bohr's model and the line spectrum?

Yes, Bohr's model only works for atoms with one electron, such as hydrogen. It also does not fully explain the behavior of electrons in more complex atoms. The line spectrum also does not account for other types of electromagnetic radiation, such as infrared or ultraviolet, emitted by atoms.