1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear acceleration of bicycle

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bicycle has wheels with a radius of 0.295 m. It accelerates uniformly and the rate of rotation of its wheels increases form 209 rpm to 265 rpm in a time of 20.7 s. What is the linear acceleration of the bicycle?
    ω=angular vel. α=angular accel.
    2. Relevant equations
    rev/min*2π*1/60s= rad/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    First changed rpm to radian/s so ω1=21.89 radian/s and ω2=27.75 radian/s
    For α=Δω/Δt=(27.75-21.89)/20.7s=0.283 radians/s2
    Then got atan=0.295 m*0.283 radians/s2=0.0835 m*radians/s2
    But I don't know if I should use ω1 or ω2 for the arad?? Do you use both and add them together to use for atotal or the change in arad? Also, do I have to multiply the final total accel by 2 since there are two wheels?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2
    Why do you want to find the radial acceleration of the bike? That won't give you its linear acceleration at all. ;)
  4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
    Ahh... I gotcha. Thanks a lot. But do I need to multiply it by 2 since there are two wheels and it's asking for the whole bicycle? I know this is stupid but I only have one submission on my HW left so I need to get this one.
  5. Nov 10, 2008 #4
    No. You're fine by solving the acceleration of one wheel, as far as I'm concerned.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?