1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Air Resistance need help with a proof

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Equation 2.33 gives the velocity of an object dropped from rest. At first, why v[itex]_{y}[/itex] is small, air resistance should be unimportant and 2.33 should agree with the elementary result V[itex]_{y}[/itex] = gt for free fall in a vacuum. Prove that this is the case. [HINT: remember the Taylor series].

2. Relevant equations

equation 2.33---> v[itex]_{y}[/itex](t) = v[itex]_{ter}[/itex](1-e[itex]^{-t/\tau}[/itex])

v[itex]_{ter}[/itex]=mg/b = g[itex]\tau[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I substituted g\[itex]\tau[/itex] for v[itex]_{ter}[/itex] uhhhh and yeah... not sure what to do? I know it's probably really simple but I'm stuck

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Do you know the Taylor series for ex? Just put x = -t/τ and expand the exponential term to the first few terms. Terms with the power of t greater than one (i.e. t2 and higher) can be disregarded because we're talking about a small time t (after release) here.

Once you do the simple algebra, you'll get the expression you need.

4. Jan 24, 2012 #3
    yeah the taylor series is e^x = 1 + x

so I just make it e^(-t/tau) = 1 - (t/tau) ? then do i substitute for tau? sorry I'm just not seeing v = gt :/

wait so then you plug in 1- (t/tau) into the original equation and then solve it right? haha sorry. I think i figured it out. thank you :)

5. Jan 24, 2012 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Just a couple of things: [itex]e^x = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + ...[/itex] (an infinite series).

[itex]e^x \approx 1 + x[/itex] is an approximation that's only valid for small x. So you can use it here. However, it's wrong to simply state [itex]e^x = 1 + x[/itex] like you did. Remember that this is only an approximation where you're ignoring all those higher powers of x (because they're too tiny).

Also, you're not solving an equation, just simplifying an expression. But yes, put (1-t/τ) into that expression in place of [itex]e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}[/itex], put [itex]v_{ter}[/itex] as gτ, and you'll quickly get the result. :smile:

6. Jan 24, 2012 #5
    haha yeah it was way easier than I was trying to make it :p thank you so much!! :)

7. Jan 24, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

No worries! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook