Linear Air Resistance with a proof

In summary, in this conversation, the equation 2.33 is discussed as it gives the velocity of an object dropped from rest. The participants also mention how air resistance should be unimportant at first and how 2.33 should agree with the elementary result V_{y} = gt for free fall in a vacuum. The conversation then goes on to prove this using the Taylor series, with a hint of substituting gτ for v_{ter}. The participants work through the steps and eventually reach the correct expression to prove that equation 2.33 agrees with the elementary result for free fall in a vacuum.
aaj92

Homework Statement

Equation 2.33 gives the velocity of an object dropped from rest. At first, why v[itex]_{y}[/itex] is small, air resistance should be unimportant and 2.33 should agree with the elementary result V[itex]_{y}[/itex] = gt for free fall in a vacuum. Prove that this is the case. [HINT: remember the Taylor series].

Homework Equations

equation 2.33---> v[itex]_{y}[/itex](t) = v[itex]_{ter}[/itex](1-e[itex]^{-t/\tau}[/itex])

v[itex]_{ter}[/itex]=mg/b = g[itex]\tau[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted g\[itex]\tau[/itex] for v[itex]_{ter}[/itex] uhhhh and yeah... not sure what to do? I know it's probably really simple but I'm stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
aaj92 said:

Homework Statement

Equation 2.33 gives the velocity of an object dropped from rest. At first, why v[itex]_{y}[/itex] is small, air resistance should be unimportant and 2.33 should agree with the elementary result V[itex]_{y}[/itex] = gt for free fall in a vacuum. Prove that this is the case. [HINT: remember the Taylor series].

Homework Equations

equation 2.33---> v[itex]_{y}[/itex](t) = v[itex]_{ter}[/itex](1-e[itex]^{-t/\tau}[/itex])

v[itex]_{ter}[/itex]=mg/b = g[itex]\tau[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted g\[itex]\tau[/itex] for v[itex]_{ter}[/itex] uhhhh and yeah... not sure what to do? I know it's probably really simple but I'm stuck

Do you know the Taylor series for ex? Just put x = -t/τ and expand the exponential term to the first few terms. Terms with the power of t greater than one (i.e. t2 and higher) can be disregarded because we're talking about a small time t (after release) here.

Once you do the simple algebra, you'll get the expression you need.

yeah the taylor series is e^x = 1 + x

so I just make it e^(-t/tau) = 1 - (t/tau) ? then do i substitute for tau? sorry I'm just not seeing v = gt :/

wait so then you plug in 1- (t/tau) into the original equation and then solve it right? haha sorry. I think i figured it out. thank you :)

aaj92 said:
yeah the taylor series is e^x = 1 + x

so I just make it e^(-t/tau) = 1 - (t/tau) ? then do i substitute for tau? sorry I'm just not seeing v = gt :/

wait so then you plug in 1- (t/tau) into the original equation and then solve it right? haha sorry. I think i figured it out. thank you :)

Just a couple of things: [itex]e^x = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + ...[/itex] (an infinite series).

[itex]e^x \approx 1 + x[/itex] is an approximation that's only valid for small x. So you can use it here. However, it's wrong to simply state [itex]e^x = 1 + x[/itex] like you did. Remember that this is only an approximation where you're ignoring all those higher powers of x (because they're too tiny).

Also, you're not solving an equation, just simplifying an expression. But yes, put (1-t/τ) into that expression in place of [itex]e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}[/itex], put [itex]v_{ter}[/itex] as gτ, and you'll quickly get the result. :smile:

haha yeah it was way easier than I was trying to make it :p thank you so much! :)

No worries! :biggrin:

FAQ: Linear Air Resistance with a proof

1. What is linear air resistance?

Linear air resistance is a force that acts on an object moving through air, slowing it down. It is proportional to the object's velocity and acts in the opposite direction of its motion.

2. How does air resistance affect an object's motion?

Air resistance can cause an object to slow down and change direction due to friction between the object and the air molecules it encounters. The faster an object moves, the greater the air resistance force it experiences.

3. What is the formula for calculating linear air resistance?

The formula for linear air resistance is F = bv, where F is the air resistance force, b is the air resistance coefficient, and v is the velocity of the object.

4. How can linear air resistance be proved?

Linear air resistance can be proved through experiments using objects of different sizes and shapes moving through air at different velocities. By measuring the air resistance force and the object's velocity, the relationship between the two can be determined and the formula can be validated.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of objects with different shapes and sizes?

Air resistance affects the motion of objects with different shapes and sizes differently. Objects with a larger surface area experience more air resistance than objects with a smaller surface area. Objects with a streamlined shape experience less air resistance than objects with a irregular shape.

Back