What is the closest point on a plane to the origin using vectorial reasoning?

In summary, Astronuc requested that I post this so that it can benefit other people who may have similar questions. He said that the question goes as follows, "If a>0,b>0,c>0. find the point on the plane x/a+y/b+z/c=1 which is closest to the origin (0,0,0) which is the closest point." He also said that one approach to solving the problem is to find a vector perpendicular to the plane. He is trying it out now! Thanks!
Microdude
As per Astronuc request, i will post this here so it can benifiet other people who may have similar questions.

I have this Linear Algebra assignment to do and i was completely stomped on how to go about to answer this question. I asked Astronuc for help to clarify a bit what was asked to understand it more.

Homework Statement

the question goes as follows,
If a>0,b>0,c>0. find the point on the plane x/a+y/b+z/c=1 which is closest to the origin (0,0,0)

i need to justify this using vectorial reasoning.

2. The attempt at a solution
after sending a PM to Astronuc i came across a site which described me something related to my problem. unfortunately i cannot find it anymore i printed out what was written there.

Astronuc replied to me with the following suggestions.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. The linear combination of two vectors defines a plane, and the cross product of those two vectors is perpendicular to that plane. So find the vector which is perpendicular to the plane and passes through the origin.

Physics news on Phys.org
By that approach, your first step is to find a vector perpendicular to the plane. Are you up for that? Another approach is simply to say you want to minimize the distance between (0,0,0) and (x,y,z) subject to the constraint that (x,y,z) satisfies your plane equation. Eliminate a variable and set partial derivatives wrt to the two remaining variables equal to zero. Does that sound like something you've done before?

hmm.. not really.. but i think what is asked is to find the vector perpendicular to the plane. i'll try it that way. cause it must be done using vector reasoning's. I'm trying it out now! thanks!

If you want to do it using vectorial methods, then your plane equation has the form f(x,y,z)=c. Think about the gradient vector of f. PS if you are trying it via minimization, minimize the square of the distance rather than the distance. Makes life easier.

What is linear algebra vector?

Linear algebra vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

How is a vector represented?

A vector can be represented in different ways, such as using coordinates, column or row vectors, or using a magnitude and direction. In linear algebra, vectors are often represented as column vectors, with the elements listed vertically.

What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar value that is calculated by multiplying the corresponding elements of the two vectors and then adding them together. It is used to determine the angle between two vectors and can also be used to find the projection of one vector onto another.

What is a linear combination of vectors?

A linear combination of vectors is a mathematical expression that combines two or more vectors by multiplying each vector by a scalar and then adding the results together. It is used to represent a vector that is a combination of other vectors.

How are vectors used in linear algebra?

Vectors are used in linear algebra to represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as forces, velocities, and displacements. They are also used to define and solve systems of linear equations and to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.