Linear Algebra - Cubic Equation from Given Points

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation for a third degree polynomial that passes through four given points. The equation given is f(t) = a + bt + ct^2 + dt^3 and the goal is to find the values of a, b, c, and d. One person mentions having trouble with their matrix calculations and another person helps them identify and correct an error in their calculations. Eventually, the original person is able to find all the correct values.
Cod
Linear Algebra -- Cubic Equation from Given Points

Homework Statement

Find the equation to the third polynomial that flows through the given points: (0,1); (1,0); (-1,0); (2, -15).

Homework Equations

f(t) = a + bt + ct^2 + dt^4

Need to find a, b, c, and d.

The Attempt at a Solution

See attachment. When I plug my answer back in, it obviously doesn't work; however, I cannot figure out where I missed up the matrix.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

There is an error in the last column of your third matrix. You did not subtract 1 in the last column. It should be 0 2 4 8 -16, not -15.

Thanks for catching that mistake. Found another algebra mistake in another matrix, but all in all, I figured everything out. Thanks again for pointing out my miscue.

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their properties. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and other mathematical structures to represent and solve systems of linear equations.

2. What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of degree three, meaning it has the highest exponent of three. It can be written in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable.

3. How do you find the cubic equation from given points?

To find the cubic equation from given points, you need to first determine the values of the coefficients a, b, c, and d by plugging in the coordinates of the points into the cubic equation. Then, you can write the equation in standard form by rearranging the terms and simplifying if necessary.

4. What are the applications of linear algebra and cubic equations?

Linear algebra and cubic equations have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. They are used to model and solve real-world problems involving linear systems, optimization, and data analysis.

5. Can cubic equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, cubic equations can have up to three solutions depending on the nature of the equation. They can have one real solution, three real solutions, or one real solution and two complex solutions. The number of solutions can be determined by the discriminant of the equation.