1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Eigenspace Question

1. Mar 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let T: C∞(R)→C∞(R) be given by T(f) = f'''' where T sends a function to the fourth derivative.

a) Find a basis for the 0-eigenspace.
    b) Find a basis for the 1-eigenspace.

3. The attempt at a solution

I just want to verify my thought process for this problem. For a), finding the basis for the 0-eigenspace, essentially I needed to find a basis for the vectors v in V such that T(v) = 0v .

So, would the basis for this 0-eigenspace be all polynomials in P3? If you solve the fourth derivative of any polynomial in P3, you will get 0.

As for b), when finding the basis for the 1-eigenspace, we need to find a basis for the vectors v in V such that T(v) = 1v, or that after solving the fourth derivative, you get a function that is equal to 1? Is this the correct logic? So would the basis for the 1-eigenspace be any polynomial in P4?

Thanks much for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2014 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The 1 eigenspace is vectors that map to themselves. Not to the vector 1.

4. Mar 2, 2014 #3
    If by ##C^∞## you mean the space of all infinitely differentiable functions, then there are a lot more than polynomials around.

Let ##f \in C^∞##. Look at the power series: ##f(x) = ∑_{i=0}^{∞} a_i x^i##. If the fourth derivative of ##f## is 0, then you have that ##a_i = 0## for ##i \geq 4##. Thus the choice of ##a_0, a_1, a_2, a_3## determines ##f## in the 0-eigenspace. Using this, can you come up with a basis? (It will have 4 functions in it).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted