Linear Algebra: Finding a unit vector sharing a given angle with two other vectors

In summary: Yes, I did notice... that was why I pointed out that I know the answer is wrong. (And I don't know why I typed pi/3, because I had 2pi/3 written in my notes... hmmm...)Good point, lanedance. It would be half of a cone, wouldn't it!And thanks, SammyS. I'm a little lost as to why you would say that, but thank you.Thanks for all of the help, everyone! I really appreciate it!In summary, to find a unit vector that shares an angle of (2pi/3) with two given vectors in 3-space, one can first reduce the given vectors to unit vectors. Then, using
haackeDc
Find unit vector with a given angle to two other vectors in 3-space

Homework Statement

We are given the vectors <1,0,-1> and <0,1,1>, and are told to find a unit vector that shares an angle of (pi/3) with both of these vectors.

Homework Equations

a(dot)b = |a||b|cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

So, from the information givin, the only thing I could think to do was form a system of linear equations:

u(dot)<1,0,-1> = (√2)cos(pi/3)
u(dot)<0,1,1> = (√2)cos(pi/3)

u1 - u2 = (.5)(√2)
u2 + u3 = (.5)(√2)

giving us:

u1 = -u3 + (√2)
u2 = -u3 + (.5)(√2)

so I end up with u = <-u3 + (√2), -u3 + (.5)(√2), u3>

u = u3<-1, -1, 1>

Now... this is as far away from my answer as I can be! I know it's not right, because this is the equation for a line, not a vector!

For informational purposes, the answer in the back of the book is <1/(√2), 1/(√2), 0>

How do I get to that answer?

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

We are given the vectors <1,0,-1> and <0,1,1>, and are told to find a unit vector that shares an angle of (pi/3) with both of these vectors.

Homework Equations

a(dot)b = |a||b|cosθ

So, from the information givin, the only thing I could think to do was form a system of linear equations:

u1 - u2 = (.5)(√2)
u2 + u3 = (.5)(√2)

giving us:

u1 = -u3 + (√2)
u2 = -u3 + (.5)(√2)

u = (√2,√2, 0) + u3<-1, -1, 1>I know this isn't right, because this is the equation for a line, not a vector!

For informational purposes, the answer in the back of the book is <1/(√2), 1/(√2), 0>

Why not start by first reducing the two given vectors to unit vectors? That way the magnitudes become unity and drop out of the dot products. Let's call then u1 and u2. Also, since the pi/3 is 60°, the cosine is 1/2.

Suppose that u is the unknown unit vector. The dot products become

[itex] u \cdot u1 = 1/2 [/itex]
[itex] u \cdot u2 = 1/2 [/itex]

Let x,y, and z be the components of u. Then after expanding the dot products you should end up with:

[itex] x - z = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} [/itex]
[itex] y - z = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} [/itex]

Write the vector [x,y,z] parametrically. That is, suppose you write z = t. Then solve for x and y in terms of t. For what value of t will the resulting vector be a unit vector? What is that vector?

note that if you find a u that satisfies you creteria, so will k u for any real k>0

so one other assumption you can make is that |u|^2=1

in fact you need it to get to the following
u(dot)<1,0,-1> = u1-u3 = |u|(√2)cos(pi/3) = (√2)/2 = 1/(√2)
u(dot)<0,1,1> = u2+u3 = |u|(√2)cos(pi/3) = (√2)/2 = 1/(√2)

rearranging
u1 = 1/(√2)+u3
u2 = 1/(√2)-u3

so then your vector is
<1/(√2)+u3, 1/(√2)-u3, u3>

now rather than considering as a line, why not use the last bit of info that |u|=1 to solve for u3

Last edited:

haackeDc said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

a(dot)b = |a||b|cosθ

So, from the information given, the only thing I could think to do was form a system of linear equations:

u1 - u2 = (.5)(√2)     This should be u1 - u3 = (.5)(√2) .
u2 + u3 = (.5)(√2)

giving us:

u1 = -u3 + (√2)
u2 = -u3 + (.5)(√2)

u = (√2,√2, 0) + u3<-1, -1, 1>

I know this isn't right, because this is the equation for a line, not a vector!

You have a typo or simply a mistake.

You can think of your result as the equation of a line, but it's the vector equation if the line. That's essentially a family of position vectors, which terminate at various locations along the line. You want the one or two of these position vectors which have a magnitude of 1 , as lancedance pointed out.

lanedance said:
note that if you find a u that satisfies you creteria, so will k u for any real k>0

so one other assumption you can make is that |u|^2=1

in fact you need it to get to the following
u(dot)<1,0,-1> = u1-u3 = |u|(√2)cos(pi/3) = (√2)/2 = 1/(√2)
u(dot)<0,1,1> = u2+u3 = |u|(√2)cos(pi/3) = (√2)/2 = 1/(√2)

rearranging
u1 = 1/(√2)+u3
u2 = 1/(√2)-u3

so then your vector is
<1/(√2)+u3, 1/(√2)-u3, u3>

now rather than considering as a line, why not use the last bit of info that |u|=1 to solve for u3

lanedance, thank you.

So... interesting thought: if you were only given one reference vector, would the solution set be the shell of a cone?

EDIT: If you weren't given the restriction that it had to be a unit vector

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the angle between <1,0,-1> and <0,1,1> is 2π/3 .

This means that there is only one solution to your problem, and all three vectors lie in the same plane.

If the angle between <1,0,-1> and <0,1,1> were less than 2π/3, there would be two solutions.

if you remove the magnitude restraint the solution set would be two separate half lines, as any positive multiple of a vector will form the same angle

SammyS doesn't that only add to 4pi/3 in the plane?

lanedance said:
if you remove the magnitude restraint the solution set would be two separate half lines, as any positive multiple of a vector will form the same angle

I'm talking about if you were only given a SINGLE REFERENCE VECTOR, not two, and then told to describe the solution set of all vectors from a given angle to that single vector. It would be a cone, wouldn't it?

correct

SammyS said:
I'm not sure if you noticed, but the angle between <1,0,-1> and <0,1,1> is 2π/3 .

This means that there is only one solution to your problem, and all three vectors lie in the same plane.

If the angle between <1,0,-1> and <0,1,1> were less than 2π/3, there would be two solutions.
#@!&%$ TYPO !

I even thought to myself ... Check for a typo before posting this ! DUH !

The angle between <1,0,-1> and <0,1,1> is 4π/3 ... !

If the angle between the two given vectors was less than 4π/3, there would be two solutions.

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1. It is often used in linear algebra to represent direction and is typically denoted by a lowercase letter with a hat (e.g. ).

2. How do you find a unit vector?

To find a unit vector, you must first calculate the magnitude of the vector. Then, divide each component of the original vector by its magnitude to get the unit vector. For example, if the original vector is v = (4, 3), the magnitude is √(4² + 3²) = √25 = 5. Therefore, the unit vector is vu = (4/5, 3/5).

3. What is the relationship between unit vectors and angles?

Unit vectors can be used to represent direction and angles in linear algebra. The angle between two vectors can be found using the dot product formula: v · w = ‖v‖ ‖w‖ cos θ. To find a unit vector that shares a given angle with two other vectors, you can use trigonometric functions to calculate the components of the unit vector.

4. How do you find a unit vector that shares a given angle with two other vectors?

To find a unit vector that shares a given angle with two other vectors, you can first find the dot product of the two vectors. Then, using the dot product formula, you can solve for the cosine of the given angle. Finally, you can use the components of the two original vectors and the cosine of the angle to calculate the components of the unit vector.

5. Why is finding a unit vector with a given angle important?

Finding a unit vector with a given angle can be useful in solving problems involving direction, such as in physics or engineering. It can also be used to simplify calculations involving vectors, as the unit vector only represents direction and not magnitude. Additionally, understanding how to find a unit vector with a given angle is an important concept in linear algebra and can be applied to more complex problems involving multiple vectors.