1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear algebra Help!

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the determinant of the matrix using identities without evaluating the determinants directly:

a b b b
    b a b b
    b b a b
    b b b a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried getting it into a triangular matrix but halfway through it got too complicated and it has to be simpler than what I think it is. The matrix is symmetric but I don't know how that relates to the determinant.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    I don't know if you are supposed to know this way but let's try :
    if a and b are real, a symmetric matrix is diagonalisable
    You know that the eigenvalues are roots of any polynom that cancel your matrix. For a start, compute the square of you matrix and reexpress it in terms of the indentity matrix and your original one. This identity gies you a polynom that cancel your matrix. Its roots are eigenvalues, and their product is the determinant. Take care of the multiplicity of the eigenvalues, that's all !

You can also have guidance from basic aspects : you know trivial answers for special cases : a=b, a=0 or b=0 etc ... this should come then !

Last possibility (but also not very elegant) : trying linear combination of lines and you will find a nice factorization appearing...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook