Linear algebra interpolations and linear systems

In summary: For example, the first equation isp_1 = a_0 + a_1*t_1 + a_2*(t_1)^2= a_0 + a_1 + a_2= (1)*a_0 + (1)*a_1 + (1)*a_2.The second equation isp_2 = a_0 + a_1*t_2 + a_2*(t_2)^2= a_0 + 2*a_1 + 4*a_2= (1)*a_0 + (2)*a_1 + (4)*a_2.... and so on.
SpiffyEh
Homework Statement
Suppose you have a set S of three points in R2,
S = {(t1, p1), (t2, p2), (t3, p3)} ;
which you seek to interpolate with the quadratic polynomial p(t) = a0 + a1t + a2t2.

5.1. Interpolations and Linear Systems. Using S and p(t) define a linear system of equations in the a0; a1; a2 variables.

5.2. Existence and Uniqueness in Interpolation. Determine which of the following sets of points can be uniquely interpolated by p(t).

S1 = {(1, 12), (2, 15), (3, 16)}
S2 = {(1, 12), (1, 15), (3, 16)}
S3 = {(1, 12), (2, 15), (2, 15)}

Homework Equations

5.1 - Hint: This problem is meant to trick you. Clearly, p(t) is a nonlinear equation in the t-variable but once you have chosen a t-value then it is a
linear equation in the coecient variables. If you choose many t-values then you have many linear equations and now the tools of linear algebra apply.

5.2 - Your choice! We have two ways to approach this problem. First, you have a linear system and thus row-reduction and interpretation of pivot
structure. However, if you think about the geometry of the points and the possible graphs of quadratic polynomials you should be able to determine,
which of the points can be interpolated.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do or where to start. We never talked about interpolation. Can someone explain how to do this to me so that I can actually try it?

Physics news on Phys.org
SpiffyEh said:
Homework Statement
Suppose you have a set S of three points in R2,
S = {(t1, p1), (t2, p2), (t3, p3)} ;
which you seek to interpolate with the quadratic polynomial p(t) = a0 + a1t + a2t2.
At the very least, please use t^2 to indicate that t is squared. The only way I could tell you meant t2 was that it's given that p(t) is a quadratic polynomial.
SpiffyEh said:
5.1. Interpolations and Linear Systems. Using S and p(t) define a linear system of equations in the a0; a1; a2 variables.

5.2. Existence and Uniqueness in Interpolation. Determine which of the following sets of points can be uniquely interpolated by p(t).

S1 = {(1, 12), (2, 15), (3, 16)}
S2 = {(1, 12), (1, 15), (3, 16)}
S3 = {(1, 12), (2, 15), (2, 15)}

Homework Equations

5.1 - Hint: This problem is meant to trick you. Clearly, p(t) is a nonlinear equation in the t-variable but once you have chosen a t-value then it is a
linear equation in the coecient variables. If you choose many t-values then you have many linear equations and now the tools of linear algebra apply.
You have the formula for p(t) and three points on the graph of p: (t1, p1), (t2, p2), and (t3, p3). Surely you can think of something useful.
SpiffyEh said:
5.2 - Your choice! We have two ways to approach this problem. First, you have a linear system and thus row-reduction and interpretation of pivot
structure. However, if you think about the geometry of the points and the possible graphs of quadratic polynomials you should be able to determine,
which of the points can be interpolated.
This one doesn't take a lot of math to do. Take a closer look at the three sets of points. One set can be discarded as a possible solution almost immediately, and another can be discarded not long after that.
SpiffyEh said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do or where to start. We never talked about interpolation. Can someone explain how to do this to me so that I can actually try it?

sorry about the t^2, I coppied it from a pdf and didn't realize it copied over as t2. I'm still unsure of what to do... we never talked about interpolations or anything. Thats why I'm so lost

Don't worry about interpolation. Take a look at what I said in my previous post.

Mark44 said:
Don't worry about interpolation. Take a look at what I said in my previous post.

I did try to read through and make undertanding of what you said but I'm still lost. I don't know why I don't get it but i really don't.

You have three points (x_1,y_1), (x_2,y_2), (x_3,y_3). Plug these into your quadratic formula, so for example, take (x_1,y_1), we get a_1+a_2*x_1+a_3*x_1^2=y_1. Each of the points will give a linear equation for a_1, a_2, a_3.

Three equations, three unknowns...

ok so i end up with
p_1 = a_0 + a_1*t_1 + a_2*(T_1)^2
p_2 = a_0 + a_1*t_2 + a_2*(T_2)^2
p_3 = a_0 + a_1*t_3 + a_2*(T_3)^2

This is still unclear to me, I probably sound dumb at this point but I'm really having a hard time with this. When it says once you have chosen a t-value then it is a linear equation what exactly does this mean? Because its not linear at this point with the t^2's. Is it really just solving these from here for 5.1?

u must be in my class lol. glad I'm not the only one that is completely...wondering what the hell.

SpiffyEh said:
ok so i end up with
p_1 = a_0 + a_1*t_1 + a_2*(T_1)^2
p_2 = a_0 + a_1*t_2 + a_2*(T_2)^2
p_3 = a_0 + a_1*t_3 + a_2*(T_3)^2
This is what 5.1 is asking for, so you're done. If I were you, though, I would switch between lower and upper case on the t's. IOW you should write the system like this:
p_1 = a_0 + a_1*t_1 + a_2*(t_1)^2
p_2 = a_0 + a_1*t_2 + a_2*(t_2)^2
p_3 = a_0 + a_1*t_3 + a_2*(t_3)^2

For any given values of t_1, t_2, and t_3, the system above is linear in a_0, a_1, and a_2. For example, if t_1 = 1, the first equation is p_1 = a_0 + a_1 + a_2. By "linear" it is meant that each equation is a linear combination of the variables a_0, a_1, and a_2. Linear combination means a sum of constant multiples of the variables, and this is what you have for known values of t_1, t_2, and t_3.

SpiffyEh said:

This is still unclear to me, I probably sound dumb at this point but I'm really having a hard time with this. When it says once you have chosen a t-value then it is a linear equation what exactly does this mean? Because its not linear at this point with the t^2's. Is it really just solving these from here for 5.1?

marichriaddi said:
u must be in my class lol. glad I'm not the only one that is completely...wondering what the hell.

lol really? at CSM right?

Mark44 said:
This is what 5.1 is asking for, so you're done. If I were you, though, I would switch between lower and upper case on the t's. IOW you should write the system like this:
p_1 = a_0 + a_1*t_1 + a_2*(t_1)^2
p_2 = a_0 + a_1*t_2 + a_2*(t_2)^2
p_3 = a_0 + a_1*t_3 + a_2*(t_3)^2

For any given values of t_1, t_2, and t_3, the system above is linear in a_0, a_1, and a_2. For example, if t_1 = 1, the first equation is p_1 = a_0 + a_1 + a_2. By "linear" it is meant that each equation is a linear combination of the variables a_0, a_1, and a_2. Linear combination means a sum of constant multiples of the variables, and this is what you have for known values of t_1, t_2, and t_3.

Oh! ok that makes sense. So for 5.2 do I basically just plug in the points for s1, s2 and s3 and see if they work?

SpiffyEh said:
Oh! ok that makes sense. So for 5.2 do I basically just plug in the points for s1, s2 and s3 and see if they work?
Yeah, you could do that, or you could expend a little mental effort at thinking, instead. It's possible to see by inspection that two of the sets of points won't work.

Mark44 said:
Yeah, you could do that, or you could expend a little mental effort at thinking, instead. It's possible to see by inspection that two of the sets of points won't work.

umm... so s3 doesn't seem like it would work because of the two same points and s2?

OK, S3 won't work because you are really given only two points. You need three points so that you can get three equations in three unknowns.

SpiffyEh said:
and s2?
What about S2?

Mark44 said:
OK, S3 won't work because you are really given only two points. You need three points so that you can get three equations in three unknowns.

What about S2?

I think s2 isn't because two of the points start with 1 but I'm not sure about that

You're getting warm. That is an astute observation.

i'm really not sure what else to say about it

Can a function (such as p(t) = a0 + a1t + a2t2) have two different output values for a single input value?

Stated another way, can a vertical line intersect the graph of a function at more than one point?

yup csm. I am so damn lost. youtube helps though.

Mark44 said:
Can a function (such as p(t) = a0 + a1t + a2t2) have two different output values for a single input value?

Stated another way, can a vertical line intersect the graph of a function at more than one point?

no, so this is invalid for that reason. I wasn't thinking of it as a single input and two outputs, but that makes sense

marichriaddi said:
yup csm. I am so damn lost. youtube helps though.
Or you can post questions you have here on physicsforums, instead of merely repeating how lost you are. That's not very productive at all.

You have three linear equations in a_0,a_1 and a_2. You use Gaussian elimination to find these values.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations and their properties, as well as the manipulation of matrices and systems of linear equations.

2. What is an interpolation in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, interpolation refers to the process of estimating values between known data points. This is often done by fitting a curve or surface to the data points, and then using this curve or surface to calculate the values at the desired points.

3. What are some applications of linear algebra interpolations?

Linear algebra interpolations are used in a variety of fields, such as computer graphics, image processing, and data analysis. They can also be used in engineering and physics to model and predict the behavior of systems.

4. What is a linear system in linear algebra?

A linear system in linear algebra refers to a set of linear equations that can be represented in matrix form. The goal of solving a linear system is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

5. What techniques are commonly used to solve linear systems?

There are several techniques for solving linear systems, including Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, and the Jacobi and Gauss-Seidel methods. These methods involve manipulating the equations or matrices in the system to arrive at a solution.