Linear Algebra Nonparallel vector Proof

In summary, the conversation is about proving two statements regarding nonparallel vectors. The first statement is that if sx+ty=0, then s=t=0, and the second statement is that if ax+by=cx+dy, then a=c and b=d. The attempt at a solution involves using proof by contradiction and assuming that s and t are nonzero. By showing that this leads to a contradiction, it is proven that s=t=0. For the second part, grouping the terms together and using the result of the first problem leads to a natural proof.
SMG75

Homework Statement

Suppose x, y [itex]\in\Re^{n}[/itex] are nonparallel vectors.
a) Prove that if sx+ty=0, then s=t=0
b) Prove that if ax+by=cx+dy, then a=c and b=d

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very new to proof-based math, so I'm just trying to get my feet wet here. I realize this is a very simple problem, but I was hoping someone could walk me through it.

Assuming s[itex]\neq[/itex]0, then sx=-ty. Thus, x=(-t/s)y, which goes against the definition of nonparallel vectors. (Two vectors are parallel if they can be written with scalar constant. i.e. x=cy or y=cx). So, as a result, we know s[itex]\neq[/itex]0 must not be possible. Using similar logic, t=0 cannot be possible, either. Therefore, s=t=0.

I realize this is incredibly rough; I'm just looking to see if my thinking is on the right track.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
SMG75 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose x, y [itex]\in\Re^{n}[/itex] are nonparallel vectors.
a) Prove that if sx+ty=0, then s=t=0
b) Prove that if ax+by=cx+dy, then a=c and b=d

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very new to proof-based math, so I'm just trying to get my feet wet here. I realize this is a very simple problem, but I was hoping someone could walk me through it.

Assuming s[itex]\neq[/itex]0, then sx=-ty. Thus, x=(-t/s)y, which goes against the definition of nonparallel vectors. (Two vectors are parallel if they can be written with scalar constant. i.e. x=cy or y=cx). So, as a result, we know s[itex]\neq[/itex]0 must not be possible. Using similar logic, t=0 cannot be possible, either. Therefore, s=t=0.

I realize this is incredibly rough; I'm just looking to see if my thinking is on the right track.
You're on the right track. What you're doing is a proof by contradiction, which is where you prove that P == Q by assuming that P is true and that Q is false. If you arrive at a contradiction, then you have indirectly proved that P ==> Q.

For this problem you should assume that both s and t are nonzero. That way you can show that x = (-t/s) y and that y = (-s/t) x. Since, by assumption x and y are nonparallel, you have arrived at a contradiction.

For the second part, group the x terms together and the y terms together.

Notice also that for the second problem, you may find it helpful to use the result of the previous problem. The proof will follow quite naturally from this. Good work so far!

Related to Linear Algebra Nonparallel vector Proof

1. What is linear algebra and why is it important?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their properties. It is used to solve systems of equations, analyze data, and make predictions in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is considered important because it provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving real-world problems.

2. What does it mean for two vectors to be nonparallel?

Two vectors are considered nonparallel if they do not have the same direction. In other words, they are not pointing in the same or opposite directions. They can still have different lengths, but their direction must be different in order for them to be considered nonparallel.

3. Can nonparallel vectors be linearly dependent?

Yes, nonparallel vectors can still be linearly dependent. Linear dependence means that one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors. So even if two vectors are not parallel, if one can be written in terms of the other, they are considered linearly dependent.

4. How do you prove that two nonparallel vectors are linearly independent?

To prove that two nonparallel vectors are linearly independent, you can use the determinant method or the span method. In the determinant method, you calculate the determinant of a matrix formed by the two vectors. If the determinant is non-zero, the vectors are linearly independent. In the span method, you check if any linear combination of the two vectors can produce the zero vector. If not, the vectors are linearly independent.

5. How can linear algebra be applied to real-world problems involving nonparallel vectors?

Linear algebra can be applied to real-world problems involving nonparallel vectors in many ways. For example, it can be used to solve systems of equations in physics or engineering, analyze data in economics or social sciences, or optimize algorithms in computer science. It can also be used to determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent or dependent, which is important for many applications in various fields.