Solving Linear Algebra Proof: A = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses an example in a book where a square matrix A satisfies A = 2AT. The question involves understanding the step where 2AT = 2[2AT]T, with the use of transpose denoted by T. The conversation then shows that A necessarily equals 0, and explains the reasoning behind simplifying the equation to isolate A.
vg19
Hi,

There is an example of this question in the book but I cannot understand the part where it says 2AT = 2[2AT]T. Everything else I understand. (T means Transpose)

Suppose a square matrix A satisfies A = 2AT. Show that necessarily A=0.

A = 2AT = 2[2AT]T = 2[2(AT)T] = 4A

3A = 0
A=1/3(3A) = 1/3(0) = (0)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
They are just using the assumption [itex]A = 2A^T[/itex] in that step.

I think I get it. So basically are they doing that step to get rid of the Transpose so A will be alone, and then can be isolated?

Thanks

vg19 said:
I think I get it. So basically are they doing that step to get rid of the Transpose so A will be alone, and then can be isolated?

Thanks

Yes, you could say that. :smile:

1. What is a linear algebra proof?

A linear algebra proof is a mathematical argument that uses the principles and concepts of linear algebra to demonstrate the truth or validity of a statement or equation. It involves using algebraic manipulations and properties to show that a given statement is true.

2. How do you solve a linear algebra proof?

To solve a linear algebra proof, you must first identify the statement that needs to be proved and the given information. Then, you must use algebraic manipulations and properties to simplify the statement and arrive at the desired result, which is typically A = 0. This may involve solving equations, manipulating matrices, or using other techniques based on the specific problem.

3. Why is it important to be able to solve linear algebra proofs?

Linear algebra proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and logical way to demonstrate the validity of mathematical statements and equations. They also help to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in many scientific and technical fields.

4. What are some common challenges when solving linear algebra proofs?

Some common challenges when solving linear algebra proofs include identifying the correct approach or strategy to use, keeping track of multiple variables and equations, and understanding the properties and rules of linear algebra that are relevant to the problem.

5. Are there any tips for successfully solving linear algebra proofs?

Some tips for successfully solving linear algebra proofs include carefully reading and understanding the given information and the statement to be proved, breaking down the problem into smaller steps, and checking your work for errors. It can also be helpful to practice with different types of problems and seek assistance from a teacher or tutor if needed.