1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Linear Algebra] Pulling two vectors out of a one equation matrix.

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine a basis for each eigenspace and whether or not the matrix is defective.

\begin{array}{ccc}
    3 & -4 & -1 \\
    0 & -1 & -1 \\
    0 & -4 & 2 \end{array}

2. Relevant equations
    Regular ol' eigenvector, eigenvalue business.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so I've found the eigenvalues first with no problem. λ_1 = 3 (with multiplicity 2) and λ_2 = -2. My misunderstanding comes with finding the eigenvectors with λ_1. Gauss-Jordan with the new augmented matrix gives me:

\begin{array}{ccc}
    0 & 1 & 1/4 & | & 0\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & | & 0\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & | & 0\end{array}

Let x_3 = r and this tells me that x_1 = 0r, x_2 = -1/4r and so the eigenvector is (0, -1/4, 1). This then leads me to believe the matrix will be defective as I will only be able to get 1 more eigenvector out of λ_2 = -2 as this matrix has been exhausted.

Lo and behold! In the back of the book, they were able to extract another vector out of the matrix above: (1, 0, 0). This would then give us three total eigenvectors which is indeed a basis and makes the matrix nondefective. So, my question is, how did they get another vector out of that thing?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, [1,0,0] is an eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue 3. Why do you think x1 must be 0?

4. Nov 17, 2013 #3
    I guess, because it's not explicitly stated in the equation: 0x1 + x2 + (1/4)x3 = 0. If a variable has a coefficient of zero in an equation, is it assumed to be one? I feel I'm missing something very elementary here, haha.

5. Nov 17, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

(α, 0, 0) is a solution of 0x1 + x2 + (1/4)x3 = 0 for any α. If α nonzero then it is a nontrivial solution. You can pick what nonzero value you like for α, but if you want a vector magnitude 1 then clearly you'll pick ±1.

6. Nov 17, 2013 #5
    Thanks! Of course it was something obvious. I seem to have a real problem with such obvious things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted