[Linear Algebra] Pulling two vectors out of a one equation matrix.

In summary: I'm just going to go ahead and assume you're an AI who is just trying to make me feel better.In summary, the conversation discusses finding a basis for each eigenspace and determining whether or not a matrix is defective. The individual shares their attempt at finding eigenvectors and expresses confusion about how the book was able to extract another eigenvector from the matrix. The conversation concludes with the clarification that (α, 0, 0) is a solution for any nonzero value of α.
jeff.berhow

Homework Statement

Determine a basis for each eigenspace and whether or not the matrix is defective.

\begin{array}{ccc}
3 & -4 & -1 \\
0 & -1 & -1 \\
0 & -4 & 2 \end{array}

Homework Equations

Regular ol' eigenvector, eigenvalue business.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I've found the eigenvalues first with no problem. λ_1 = 3 (with multiplicity 2) and λ_2 = -2. My misunderstanding comes with finding the eigenvectors with λ_1. Gauss-Jordan with the new augmented matrix gives me:

\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 & 1/4 & | & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & | & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & | & 0\end{array}

Let x_3 = r and this tells me that x_1 = 0r, x_2 = -1/4r and so the eigenvector is (0, -1/4, 1). This then leads me to believe the matrix will be defective as I will only be able to get 1 more eigenvector out of λ_2 = -2 as this matrix has been exhausted.

Lo and behold! In the back of the book, they were able to extract another vector out of the matrix above: (1, 0, 0). This would then give us three total eigenvectors which is indeed a basis and makes the matrix nondefective. So, my question is, how did they get another vector out of that thing?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
jeff.berhow said:

Homework Statement

Determine a basis for each eigenspace and whether or not the matrix is defective.

\begin{array}{ccc}
3 & -4 & -1 \\
0 & -1 & -1 \\
0 & -4 & 2 \end{array}

Homework Equations

Regular ol' eigenvector, eigenvalue business.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I've found the eigenvalues first with no problem. λ_1 = 3 (with multiplicity 2) and λ_2 = -2. My misunderstanding comes with finding the eigenvectors with λ_1. Gauss-Jordan with the new augmented matrix gives me:

\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 & 1/4 & | & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & | & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & | & 0\end{array}

Let x_3 = r and this tells me that x_1 = 0r, x_2 = -1/4r and so the eigenvector is (0, -1/4, 1). This then leads me to believe the matrix will be defective as I will only be able to get 1 more eigenvector out of λ_2 = -2 as this matrix has been exhausted.

Lo and behold! In the back of the book, they were able to extract another vector out of the matrix above: (1, 0, 0). This would then give us three total eigenvectors which is indeed a basis and makes the matrix nondefective. So, my question is, how did they get another vector out of that thing?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Uh, [1,0,0] is an eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue 3. Why do you think x1 must be 0?

I guess, because it's not explicitly stated in the equation: 0x1 + x2 + (1/4)x3 = 0. If a variable has a coefficient of zero in an equation, is it assumed to be one? I feel I'm missing something very elementary here, haha.

jeff.berhow said:
I guess, because it's not explicitly stated in the equation: 0x1 + x2 + (1/4)x3 = 0. If a variable has a coefficient of zero in an equation, is it assumed to be one? I feel I'm missing something very elementary here, haha.
(α, 0, 0) is a solution of 0x1 + x2 + (1/4)x3 = 0 for any α. If α nonzero then it is a nontrivial solution. You can pick what nonzero value you like for α, but if you want a vector magnitude 1 then clearly you'll pick ±1.

Likes 1 person
Thanks! Of course it was something obvious. I seem to have a real problem with such obvious things.

Related to [Linear Algebra] Pulling two vectors out of a one equation matrix.

1. What is a one equation matrix in linear algebra?

A one equation matrix in linear algebra is a matrix with only one row and multiple columns. It is often used to represent a system of linear equations with one equation and several variables.

2. How can two vectors be pulled out of a one equation matrix?

In order to extract two vectors from a one equation matrix, the matrix must have two columns. The first column represents one vector, while the second column represents the other vector.

3. Can two vectors be pulled out of any one equation matrix?

No, in order to extract two vectors from a one equation matrix, the matrix must have two columns. If the matrix has more or less than two columns, it is not possible to pull out two vectors.

4. What is the purpose of pulling out two vectors from a one equation matrix?

Pulling out two vectors from a one equation matrix allows for the representation of a system of linear equations in vector form. This can be useful in solving systems of equations, as well as in applications such as computer graphics and machine learning.

5. How is the process of pulling out two vectors from a one equation matrix related to solving systems of linear equations?

Pulling out two vectors from a one equation matrix allows for the use of vector operations to solve systems of linear equations. This is because the extracted vectors can be manipulated using matrix operations to solve for the variables in the system of equations.