Linear Algebra- Transformations and

In summary, Kyle says that a, c, and d are invertible, but he doesn't know how to find their inverses. He says that only i has assumed it involves some vector <x,y,z> about some arbitrary thing, but he is not even sure about that. He then says that HI Kyle says that a, c, and d are invertible, but he doesn't know how to find their inverses. He says that only i has assumed it involves some vector <x,y,z> about some arbitrary thing, but he is not even sure about that. He then says that HI Kyle says that a, c, and d are invertible, but he doesn't
KyleS4562
Question:
Which of the following linear transformations T from |R^3 to |R^3 are invertible? Find The inverse if it exists.

a. Reflection about a plane
b. Orthogonal projection onto a plane
c. Scaling by a factor of 5
d. Rotation about an axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know only a, c, and d are invertible but I do not know how to go about finding their inverses. Only i have assumed so far it involves some vector <x,y,z> about some arbitrary thing such as in part a, a plane through the origin with an arbitrary normal <a,b,c> but I am not even sure about that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi KyleS4562, welcome the Forums. I think they want a fairly abstract answer to each question, since they didn't describe most of them in enough detail to let you give a formula like <x,y,z> transforms to whatever. Just answer in the same spirit they asked. What's the inverse of a reflection? What's inverse of an expansion by 5? What's the inverse of a rotation? Just answer in words.

Last edited:
Thanks... i have about a page and a have worth of random row reducing trying to come up with a generic inverse matrix for a with any plane with any given <a,b,c> normal and I still not got the final matrix so I like your answer better.

Absolutely, now what is your answer? I'd like to see it to make sure we're on the same wavelength.

A. Invertible. Let's call this transformation T which as a transformation matrix A. So since it is invertible there exists an A^-1 such that: T(<x,y,z>)= <x1,y1,z1> where A<x,y,z> = <x1,y1,z1> so that A^-1 <x1,y1,z1> = <x,y,z> for any given plane

and something like that for the other ones or am I being to vague?

No, you are being too specific. Isn't the inverse of a reflection the same reflection? Just say that, I know you know it.

Last edited:
Wow I didn't think of that. So it is just A^-1 = A

then for b we can actually do it since

A= [5,0,0] [0,5,0] [0,0,5]

A^-1 = [1/5,0,0] [0,1/5,0] [0,0,1/5]

then d if a rotation around an axis is defined by theta degrees than the inverse matrix will rotate the vector 2pi-theta in the same direction

Right, exactly. The inverse of scaling by 5 is scaling by 1/5. And the inverse of a rotation around an axis by theta is rotation around the same axis by -theta. Or as you put it 2pi-theta. But they are the same thing.

Thank you very much for all your help

Related to Linear Algebra- Transformations and

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, vectors, and vector spaces. It is widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.

2. What are Transformations in Linear Algebra?

Transformations in Linear Algebra refer to the process of changing the position, orientation, or size of a geometric shape. It involves using mathematical operations on vectors to produce new vectors.

3. What are the types of Transformations in Linear Algebra?

The three main types of transformations in Linear Algebra are translation, rotation, and scaling. Translation involves moving a shape without changing its size or shape. Rotation involves rotating a shape around a fixed point. Scaling involves changing the size of a shape.

4. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a transformation that preserves the structure of the original shape, meaning that lines remain straight and parallel after the transformation. A non-linear transformation, on the other hand, does not preserve this structure, meaning that lines may become curved or intersect after the transformation.

5. How is Linear Algebra used in real life?

Linear Algebra has countless applications in real life. It is used in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations, in data analysis to find patterns and trends, in machine learning to build predictive models, and in engineering to solve complex systems of equations. Linear Algebra is also used in GPS navigation, image and signal processing, and many other fields.