Solve 870 kg Sports Car Collision Speed at Impact

In summary: And you have to be careful with the sign of the velocity. Try to show that the initial velocity of the sports car is 13.2 m/s.
sumitmanhas

Homework Statement

A 870 kg sports car collides into the rear end of a 2500 kg SUV stopped at a red light. The bumpers lock, the brakes are locked, and the two cars skid forward 2.9 m before stopping. The police officer, estimating the coefficient of kinetic friction between tires and road to be 0.80, calculates the speed of the sports car at impact.
Part A
What was that speed?

Homework Equations

law of conservation momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

so , we have
mivii + 0 = m1v1f + m2v2f
and since final velocities are same(inelastic collision)
m1v1i = vf( m1 +m2 )
or m1( v1i - vf ) = m2vf - (i)

kinetic enrgy is not conserved
0.5m1v1i2 = 0.5vf2( m1 + m2 )
taking the mivf2 to the left and since 0.5 cancel
m1(v1i2 - vf2) = m2vf2
m1 (v1i + vf)(v1i - vf ) = m2vf2 -(ii)

dividing (i) and (II)
we get, v1 + vf = vf
so from here do i conclude that the final velocities are different otherwise answer makes no sense and instead use subscripts for different final velocities . but final velocity should be same ?

and why is that distance and coefficient of kinetic friction given need help here..:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
sumitmanhas said:

Homework Statement

A 870 kg sports car collides into the rear end of a 2500 kg SUV stopped at a red light. The bumpers lock, the brakes are locked, and the two cars skid forward 2.9 m before stopping. The police officer, estimating the coefficient of kinetic friction between tires and road to be 0.80, calculates the speed of the sports car at impact.
Part A
What was that speed?

Homework Equations

law of conservation momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

so , we have
mivii + 0 = m1v1f + m2v2f
and since final velocities are same(inelastic collision)
m1v1i = vf( m1 +m2 )
or m1( v1i - vf ) = m2vf - (i)

(i) is better rewritten as vi= vf(m1+m2)/m1 since the question asks for the initial speed of the sports car

sumitmanhas said:
kinetic enrgy is not conserved
0.5m1v1i2 = 0.5vf2( m1 + m2 )
taking the mivf2 to the left and since 0.5 cancel
m1(v1i2 - vf2) = m2vf2
m1 (v1i + vf)(v1i - vf ) = m2vf2 -(ii)

You stated that KE is not conserved, which is true, which means that the equivalence of KE does not hold and (ii) cannot be used.

sumitmanhas said:
and why is that distance and coefficient of kinetic friction given need help here..:confused

Looking back at (i), you would realize that the only unknown is vf which is the velocity immediately after the collision. The combined vehicles came to a halt, right? We have the distance, and the final velocity of the wreakage = 0. And friction provides deceleration. So, we are looking for initial velocity. Hmm... an equation comes to mind...

so like u said , using kinematics equation vf2 = vi2 + 2ad
where , vf = o (final velocity of the wreckage)
vi = velocity immediately after the collision (unknown)
a = [tex]\mu[/tex]mg/m ( m = total mass of two cars)
d = given

so here a would have a negative sign in front of it right , cause decelerating? and from this equation formed , the value for vi goes as vf in equation - (i) and so on n so forth u find the initial velocity of the car.

right ?
thanks for ur help n time..

Yes, you are approaching the question correctly. a must have a negative sign, otherwise, the wreakage is accelerating!

1. What is the formula for calculating impact speed in a car collision?

The formula for calculating impact speed in a car collision is v = √(2 x m x KE), where v is the impact speed, m is the mass of the car, and KE is the kinetic energy of the car.

2. How do you determine the mass of the car in a collision?

The mass of the car can be determined by using a scale or by obtaining the weight of the car from the manufacturer. It is important to use the mass in kilograms for the calculation of impact speed.

3. What is the unit of measurement for impact speed?

The unit of measurement for impact speed is meters per second (m/s).

4. Can the impact speed be calculated without knowing the kinetic energy?

No, the kinetic energy is a crucial part of the formula for calculating impact speed. Without it, the speed cannot be accurately determined.

5. Is the impact speed the same as the speed of the car before the collision?

No, the impact speed is the speed at which the car is moving during the collision. It may be different from the speed of the car before the collision, depending on factors such as braking or acceleration.