1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear diffy q

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the differential equation
    x(dy/dx) -4y = x^4e^x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So this is what I did.

dy/dx -4y/x = x^3e^x

Then I did the integral of P(x) which I said was 4/x so the integral is lnx^4 then I(x) = e^lnx^4 = x^4. I then multiplied through by this and got

x^4(dy/dx) - 4x^3(y) = x^7e^x I said my product rule for my left side was (x^4(y))' so I ended up with x^4(y) = ∫ x^7(e^x) I just used a reduction formula for the integral. But is my procss OK? THanks
    my equation b

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

In this case [itex]P(x) = -4/x[/itex], so you've lost a minus sign in an exponent.

Try again with the correct [itex]P(x)[/itex].

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3
    Hey dude, So I did but it doesn't seem right I made P(x) as you say so my integrating factor become I(x) = 1/x^4

I multiply though and my expression becomes

(1/x^4)(dy/dx) - 4y/x^5 = e^x/x OK so the left side is then....

(y/x^4)' = e^x /x
    But if you try and integrate the right side you have to do the err function. That can't be right because my book isn't that advanced. So Did I do something wrong?

5. Oct 30, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you did everything right. And yes, you don't get an elementary integral. It's not err it's Ei, but same problem.

6. Oct 30, 2013 #5
    OK. I kept looking over and it and I could not see where my math was wrong you know?
    Hey I'm going to post another thread can you please help me ? It is solving a differential equation.

7. Oct 30, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, if I'm still around. Somebody else could probably handle it too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted