Linear Equations with Intersecting Lines: Solving for Unknowns

• Thread starter bob4000
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking for a simple method to solve the following equations: 1. ax+by=c, y=2ax 2. y=mx+c, y=-mx+d 3. ax-by=1, y=x 4. Some values for a, b, and c for which the equations do not represent a straight line. They also mention that they have solved simpler versions of the first three equations and are having trouble understanding the given equations. They ask for clarification and mention that they are new to this work and need help.
bob4000
how wud i do the following:

1.ax+by=c, y=2ax
2.y=mx+c, y=-mx+d
3.ax-by=1, y=x
4.some values for a,b and c for which equation does not represent a straight line, give egs

ive dun simpler versions of 1-3 but i haven't come across the above, so cud someone please tell me a simple method of working them out. thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having trouble understanding what you want. Are you trying to solve all six equations simultnaeously? 5 unknowns for 6 equations means you have a dependent equation in that lot. What class is this for? Linear Algebra requires a slightly diffferent approach than regular algebra. Do you know how to use matrices?

Anyway, a little more information presented slightly more clearly would help here.

all the questions are separate, hence the numbering of each question. its as level and I've jut started this work so i need a bit of help

Related to Linear Equations with Intersecting Lines: Solving for Unknowns

What is an intersection in math?

An intersection in math refers to the point or points where two or more lines, curves, or surfaces meet or cross each other. It is the common point(s) between two or more geometric objects.

What is the formula for finding the intersection of two lines?

The formula for finding the intersection of two lines is y = mx + b. This formula is also known as the slope-intercept form, where m represents the slope of the line and b represents the y-intercept.

How do you solve an intersection math problem?

To solve an intersection math problem, you first need to identify the lines or curves that are intersecting. Then, use the appropriate formula or method to find the coordinates of the intersection point(s). Finally, check your answer and make sure it satisfies both equations or conditions.

Can an intersection have more than one solution?

Yes, an intersection can have more than one solution. This occurs when two or more lines or curves intersect at multiple points. In this case, the solution to the intersection math problem would be a set of coordinates representing all the intersection points.

What is the difference between an intersection and a union in math?

An intersection in math refers to the common point(s) between two or more geometric objects. On the other hand, a union refers to the combination or joining of two or more sets or objects. In terms of notation, an intersection is represented by ∩ while a union is represented by ∪.