Linear first-order diffeq system for radioactive decay chain

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve a system of differential equations involving a decay chain with a production term of Rx(t)=\alphat. The first step in the solution involves integrating the term ∫dt'Rx(t')eλx(t'-t) from 0 to t, which may be confusing for some. However, the integral of \alpha t with respect to t is \alpha t^2/2, which is a simple concept.
clynne21

Homework Statement

Given the followin[Sg decay chain- X→Y→Z
Solve for Nx(t), Ny(t), Nz(t) for the case of Rx(t)=[itex]\alpha[/itex]t and assuming Ny(t)=Nz(t)=0

Homework Equations

dNx(t)/dt = -[itex]\lambda[/itex]xNx(t) + Rx(t)
dNy(t)/dt = -[itex]\lambda[/itex]yNy(t) +[itex]\lambda[/itex]xNx(t)
dNz(t)/dt = -[itex]\lambda[/itex]zNz(t) +[itex]\lambda[/itex]yNy(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know these would be solved with bateman equations and without the Rx(t)=[itex]\alpha[/itex]t term I could do these. The production term throws me off and I'm not sure exactly how to go about this.
I have this for Nx(t) = Nx(0)e-[itex]\lambda[/itex]xt + ∫t0 dt'Rx(t')e[itex]\lambda[/itex]x(t'-t) (the integral is from 0 to t, but the itex wasn't working for me to do that)
So how does Rx(t)=[itex]\alpha[/itex]t integrate and where does it go in the other two equations? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Excuse me but are you saying that you are trying to solve a system of differential equations but do not know how to integrate [itex]\alpha t[/itex]? The integral of [itex]\alpha t[/itex] with respect to t is [itex]\alpha t^2/2[/itex]. That is usually one of the first integrals you learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha- no, that's cake LOL

It's really more this term ∫dt'Rx(t')eλx(t'-t) (from 0 to t) that confuses me- I'm not sure where the primes came from and what it is indicating. It was the first step given for a solution. It seemed odd since the αt should be, like you said, extremely simple.

1. What is a linear first-order differential equation system?

A linear first-order differential equation system is a set of differential equations that can be represented in the form of a linear combination of the dependent variable and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical and natural phenomena, such as radioactive decay.

2. How is a linear first-order differential equation system used to model radioactive decay chain?

In a radioactive decay chain, a parent nucleus decays into a series of daughter nuclei. This process can be mathematically represented by a system of first-order differential equations, where the rate of change of each nucleus in the chain is proportional to the decay rate of the parent nucleus.

3. What is the general solution to a linear first-order differential equation system for radioactive decay chain?

The general solution to a linear first-order differential equation system for radioactive decay chain is given by the exponential function. This is because the rate of decay is proportional to the amount of radioactive material, and the exponential function represents this type of growth or decay.

4. How can the half-life of a radioactive substance be determined using a linear first-order differential equation system?

The half-life of a radioactive substance can be determined by solving the differential equation system and finding the time at which the amount of the parent nucleus reduces to half of its initial value. This time is known as the half-life and can be calculated from the decay constant, which is a parameter in the differential equation system.

5. What are the limitations of using a linear first-order differential equation system to model radioactive decay chain?

One limitation is that it assumes a constant decay rate, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account any external factors that may affect the decay rate, such as changes in temperature or pressure. Additionally, it only models one specific type of decay chain and may not be applicable to other types of radioactive decay.