Linear Impulse and Momentum

In summary,A stop block, s, prevents a crate from sliding down a 33-degree incline. A tensile force (F = (F_{o}t) N) acts on the crate parallel to the incline, where F_{o} = 325 N/s. If the coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the crate and the incline are mu_{s} = 0.325 and mu_{k} = 0.225, respectively, and the crate has mass of 50.8 kg, how long will it take until the crate reaches a velocity of 2.44 m/s as it moves up the incline?
_N3WTON_
A stop block, s, prevents a crate from sliding down a [itex] \theta = 33 \hspace{2 mm} degrees [/itex] incline. A tensile force [itex] F = (F_{o}t) N [/itex] acts on the crate parallel to the incline, where [itex] F_{o} = 325 \frac{N}{s} [/itex]. If the coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the crate and the incline are [itex] \mu_{s} = 0.325 [/itex] and [itex] \mu_{k} = 0.225 [/itex], respectively, and the crate has mass of [itex] m = 50.8 kg [/itex], how long will it take until the crate reaches a velocity of [itex] v = 2.44 \frac{m}{s} [/itex] as it moves up the incline.

upload_2015-3-5_13-0-14.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know when [itex] f < f_{max} = \mu_{s}mgcos(\theta) [/itex], the system isn't moving, and the net force is:
[itex] F - mgsin(\theta) - f = 0 [/itex].
[itex] f = F-mgsin(\theta) < \mu_{s}mgcos(\theta) [/itex]
When [itex] t = t_{1} [/itex], [itex] f = \mu_{s}mgcos(\theta) [/itex] so I have:
[itex] 325t_{1} - mgsin(\theta) = \mu_{s}mgcos(\theta) [/itex]
[itex] t_{1} = \frac{mg(sin(\theta)+\mu_{s}cos(\theta))}{325} [/itex]
Now plugging in my values:
[itex] t_{1} = \frac{(50.8)(9.81)(sin(33)+(0.325)cos(33))}{325} [/itex]
[itex] t_{1} = 1.25 s [/itex]
So, after 1.25 seconds, the block moves up along the incline and the net force is:
[itex] F - mgsin(\theta) - \mu_{k}mgcos(\theta) [/itex]
The impulse of the net force is:
[itex] \int_{t}^{t_{1}} (F-mgsin(\theta)-\mu_{k}cos(\theta)) = m(v-0) [/itex]
[itex] \int_{t}^{t_{1}}(325t - mgsin(\theta)-\mu_{k}mgcos(\theta)) = mv [/itex]
[itex] 162.5(t^{2}-t_{1}^{2}) - mg(sin(\theta)-\mu_{k}cos(\theta))(t-t_{1}) = mv [/itex]
[itex] 162.5(t^{2}-(1.25)^{2})-177.4(t-1.25) = 123.95 [/itex]
[itex] 162.5t^{2} - 177.4t - 126.76 = 0 [/itex]
When I solve this quadratic, I get [itex] t = 1.58 s [/itex]. However, this answer is not correct and I am not quite sure where I went wrong. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your answer represent the total time since t = 0? [Edit: Yes, it does. Your work looks good, but I haven't checked your numbers. Let me try it.]

TSny said:
Does your answer represent the total time since t = 0? [Edit: Yes, it does. Your work looks good, but I haven't checked your numbers. Let me try it.]
Yes, I'm really not sure where I went wrong on this one...I'm thinking maybe I entered a value incorrectly but I can't see where. I was thinking that having another set of eyes look over the problem would really help :)

When you factored out -mg in the third to last line, did you mess up a sign?

TSny said:
When you factored out -mg in the third to last line, did you mess up a sign?
I believe that I did, I had:
[itex] -mgsin(\theta)-\mu_{k}mgcos(\theta) [/itex]
[itex] -mg(sin(\theta)-\mu_{k}cos(\theta) [/itex]
instead of
[itex] -mg(sin(\theta)+\mu_{k}cos(\theta)) [/itex] Thank you !

Yes. I hope it works out now.

TSny said:
Yes. I hope it works out now.
I'm trying it now...

so after making the correction, I ended up with
[itex] 162.5t^{2} - 365.458t - 126.7645 = 0 [/itex]
Solving that quadratic I got:
[itex] t = 2.55 s [/itex]
This answer is incorrect, the correct answer according to Pearson is [itex] t = 2.01 s [/itex] :/

I get a different number in place of your -126.7645.

TSny said:
I get a different number in place of your -126.7645.
is it 78.96 or something close to that?

Yes.

TSny said:
Yes.
Ok, I see where I went wrong now, thank you very much!

OK. Good.

TSny said:
OK. Good.
and using that number I do get 2.01 seconds after using the quadratic equation :)

Why do you have the time you found in the upper limit?

_N3WTON_ said:
[itex] t_{1} = \frac{(50.8)(9.81)(sin(33)+(0.325)cos(33))}{325} [/itex]
[itex] t_{1} = 1.25 s [/itex]
So, after 1.25 seconds, the block moves up along the incline and the net force is:
[itex] F - mgsin(\theta) - \mu_{k}mgcos(\theta) [/itex]
The impulse of the net force is:
[itex] \int_{t}^{t_{1}} (F-mgsin(\theta)-\mu_{k}cos(\theta)) = m(v-0) [/itex]
[itex] \int_{t}^{t_{1}}(325t - mgsin(\theta)-\mu_{k}mgcos(\theta)) = mv [/itex]
[itex] 162.5(t^{2}-t_{1}^{2}) - mg(sin(\theta)-\mu_{k}cos(\theta))(t-t_{1}) = mv [/itex]
[itex] 162.5(t^{2}-(1.25)^{2})-177.4(t-1.25) = 123.95 [/itex]
[itex] 162.5t^{2} - 177.4t - 126.76 = 0 [/itex]
When I solve this quadratic, I get [itex] t = 1.58 s [/itex]. However, this answer is not correct and I am not quite sure where I went wrong. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

mohjee said:
You are right, t1 should be the lower limit. When _N3WTON_ evaluated the integral, t1 was used as the lower limit. So, it's OK.

Likes mohjee
TSny said:
You are right, t1 should be the lower limit. When _N3WTON_ evaluated the integral, t1 was used as the lower limit. So, it's OK.

Okay, thank you for that, was just making sure, I noticed that the numbers made sense.

1. What is the definition of linear impulse?

Linear impulse is the product of an object's mass and its change in velocity over a period of time. It is a measure of the force applied to an object and is often represented by the symbol J.

2. How is linear impulse related to momentum?

Linear impulse and momentum are closely related, as impulse is the change in an object's momentum. The greater the impulse applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be.

3. What is the formula for calculating linear impulse?

The formula for linear impulse is J = m * Δv, where J is the impulse, m is the mass of the object, and Δv is the change in velocity.

4. How does the principle of conservation of linear momentum apply to linear impulse?

The principle of conservation of linear momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the impulse applied to one object in a system will result in an equal and opposite impulse on another object, thus conserving the total momentum of the system.

5. How is linear impulse used in real-world applications?

Linear impulse is used in various real-world applications, such as sports (e.g. throwing a ball or hitting a baseball), car safety (e.g. airbags deploying upon impact), and rocket propulsion. It is also an important concept in understanding collisions and how they affect the motion of objects.