Linear Map Problem: Proving a and b Equivalent

In summary, the conversation discussed the equivalence between two statements regarding a vector space V over a field F and a linear map T ∈ L(V, V). The statements are (a) I am T ∩ Ker T = {0} and (b) If T^2(v) = 0 → T(v) = 0, v ∈ V. The conversation included a proposed proof using the implication rule and a request for help proving the other direction. The summary concludes by stating that the remaining step is to show {0} ⊂ I am T ∩ Ker T.
jdm900712

Homework Statement

Let V be a vector space over the field F. and T [itex]\in[/itex] L(V, V) be a linear map.
Show that the following are equivalent:

a) I am T [itex]\cap[/itex] Ker T = {0}
b) If T[itex]^{2}[/itex](v) = 0 -> T(v) = 0, v[itex]\in[/itex] V

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using p -> (q -> r) <-> (p[itex]\wedge[/itex]q) ->r
I suppose I am T [itex]\cap[/itex] Ker T = {0} and T[itex]^{2}[/itex](v) = 0.
then I know that T(v)[itex]\in[/itex] Ker T and T(v)[itex]\in[/itex] I am T
so T(v) = 0.

I need help on how to prove the other direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you prove {0} ⊂ I am T ∩ Ker T? If so, all you have left to show is I am T ∩ Ker T ⊂ {0}.

What is a linear map?

A linear map is a mathematical function that maps a vector space onto another vector space while preserving the operations of addition and scalar multiplication. It is also known as a linear transformation or linear operator.

What does it mean to prove two linear maps as equivalent?

To prove two linear maps as equivalent means to show that they produce the same output for any given input. This can be done by comparing their matrices, which represent the same transformation in different bases.

What is the significance of proving linear maps as equivalent?

Proving linear maps as equivalent helps to establish a fundamental understanding of linear algebra and its applications. It also allows for the simplification of complex problems by reducing them to their simplest form.

What are the steps to prove two linear maps as equivalent?

The steps to prove two linear maps as equivalent are as follows:
1. Write out the two linear maps in their matrix form.
2. Show that the matrices are of the same size.
3. Multiply the matrices and compare the resulting matrices.
4. If the resulting matrices are equal, the linear maps are equivalent. Otherwise, they are not equivalent.

What are some common techniques used to prove linear maps as equivalent?

Some common techniques used to prove linear maps as equivalent include checking for equal matrices, using the dimension theorem, and showing that the images of the two linear maps span the same vector space. Other techniques may also involve using properties of linear maps, such as associativity and distributivity, to manipulate the matrices and show their equivalence.