Linear Operators: Proving Determinant Property

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the statement that for linear operators S and T on a vector space V, det(SoT)=det(S)det(T). The individual proposing the proof uses linear combinations to show that the two expressions for det(ST) and det(S)det(T) are equivalent. The conversation also mentions the definition of determinant and the properties of linear operators. It is noted that the proof may be tedious but can be shown by showing that the two expressions are equal or that one is equal to the negative of the other.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i need to prove the next statement:
let S and T be linear operators on a vector space V, then det(SoT)=det(S)det(T).

my way is this:
let v belong to V, and {e_i} be a basis of V
v=e1u1+...+e_nu_n
then T(v)=e1T(u1)+...+enT(un)
(SoT)(v)=S(T(v))=S(e1T(u1)+...+enT(un))=e1S(T(u1))+...+enS(T(un))
but i don't know how to proceed from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wasn't there a far too long thread on this recently somewhere round here.

How have you defined the determinant, and what are you allowed to assume about linear operators?

the determinant is the sum on all permutations t=j1,...jn in Sn such that detA=
sum (sgn t) a1j1...anjn
t

and about linear operators:
i used linear combinations of the operator T because i learned it, you can also assume that i know ((-:) the algebra of linear operators i.e if F,G,H are operators then:
1)F(G+H)=FG+FH
2)(G+H)F=GF+HF
3)k(GF)=(kG)F=G(kF)
where k is scalar.

basically if you know schaum series book for linear algebra then i went through chapters from 1-8.

I don't know Schaum from personal experience; from what I can tell from other people's it's a waste of money, and I have no desire to buy a copy, if it's even avaliable in the UK.

So you just need to show that the two expressions you have, one for Det(ST) and one for Det(S)Det(T), agree. It is not hard but it is tedious; bookkeeping some people call it.

Det(S)Det(T) is gong to be a big horrible mess, and it will contain the expression Det(ST), it just remains to show that the rest cancels, or is zero. Remember that often be the best way to show X is zero is to show X=-X (I can't recall if that is exactly what happens here; it is some time since I proved this fact).

Last edited:

1. What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a linear manner. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to represent transformations and operations on vectors and matrices.

2. What is the difference between a linear operator and a linear transformation?

A linear operator is a special type of linear transformation that maps a vector space to itself, while a linear transformation can map between different vector spaces. Linear operators are often represented as matrices, while linear transformations can have various representations.

3. How do you determine if a linear operator is invertible?

A linear operator is invertible if and only if its determinant is non-zero. This means that the linear operator has a unique inverse that can "reverse" its transformation. Invertibility is an important property of linear operators and is often used in solving systems of linear equations.

4. What is the difference between a linear operator and a nonlinear operator?

A linear operator satisfies the properties of linearity, which include the preservation of addition and scalar multiplication. Nonlinear operators, on the other hand, do not satisfy these properties and can exhibit more complex behaviors. Nonlinear operators are often used in more advanced mathematical models and applications.

5. How are linear operators used in real-world applications?

Linear operators are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze linear systems and can be used to solve various problems, such as finding optimal solutions and predicting future outcomes.