Linearizing Doppler Shift Function: How to Expand and Take Linear Terms?

In summary, the conversation discusses linearizing the doppler shift function of light and the use of a taylor series expansion. The equation v0(1+v/c)/(1-v/c) is mentioned, with v0 being on the order of 10^10, c being 3*10^8, and v being around 45. The speakers also reference a resource for more information on this topic and provide an alternative equation for the special case.
mewmew
Well this is a physics related question but I think putting it in math is best. I am trying to linearize the doppler shift function of light. I know that means to expand it and take the linear terms but don't really know what to do. I was guessing a taylor series expansion but f[x]=f[a]+f'[a](x-a) has me confused as I am not sure what to use as a, as 0 doesn't work too well.
The equation is [tex] v0 \frac{1+\frac{v}{c}} {1-\frac{v}{c}} [/tex] where v0 is on the order of 10^10, c is 3*10^8, and v is around 45.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this will help:

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~krybakov/teaching_files/math_econ/problem_sets/ps4.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't it be [tex] f_0\sqrt{ \frac{1+\frac{v}{c}} {1-\frac{v}{c}}} [/tex] ?

Check-out the Doppler Effect page at www.scienceworld.com[/url], near the bottom they give such an expansion (cf. [url=http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/RelativisticRedshift.html] Their Red Shift page[/URL] for more detail.)

Last edited by a moderator:
In case I'm wrong, (I'm no physicist) try this:

[tex] v_0 \frac{1+\frac{v}{c}} {1-\frac{v}{c}} = v_0 \left( 1+\frac{v}{c} \right) \frac{1} {1-\frac{v}{c}} = v_0 \left( 1+\frac{v}{c} \right) \left[ 1+ \frac{v}{c} + \left( \frac{v}{c}\right) ^2 + \cdots \right] = v_0 \left[ 1+ 2\frac{v}{c} + 2\left( \frac{v}{c}\right) ^2 + \cdots \right] \approx v_0 \left( 1+ 2\frac{v}{c} \right)[/tex]

for [tex]v\ll c[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks, just incase anyone is wondering it is a special case(should have said that) so it doesn't have the square root.

What is "linearizing a function"?

"Linearizing a function" refers to the process of transforming a non-linear function into a linear function. This is often done in order to make the function easier to analyze and solve, as linear functions have simpler properties and can be graphed as straight lines.

Why would you want to linearize a function?

Linearizing a function can make it easier to analyze and solve, as linear functions have simpler properties and can be graphed as straight lines. This can be especially useful in fields such as physics and economics, where linear relationships are often assumed.

How do you linearize a function?

The process of linearizing a function involves using mathematical techniques such as substitution, transformation, or approximation. The specific method used depends on the type of non-linear function and the desired level of accuracy in the linearized version.

What are the benefits of linearizing a function?

Linearizing a function can make it easier to analyze and solve, as linear functions have simpler properties and can be graphed as straight lines. This can also allow for more accurate predictions and interpretations of the function's behavior.

Are there any limitations to linearizing a function?

Yes, there are limitations to linearizing a function. Linearization can only be done for certain types of non-linear functions, and the accuracy of the linearized version may vary depending on the method used. Additionally, linearization may not accurately capture the behavior of the original function in certain cases.