Liner algebra- existence and uniqueness

In summary, the homework statement asks for a system that has only the trivial solution, but if you don't have a second pivot, you have a free variable.
SpiffyEh

Homework Statement

Coeffcient Data and Existence and Uniqueness of Solutions. Assuming that a (not equal to) 0, and an equation that restricts a; b; c; d so
that the following system has only the trivial solution.
(1) ax1 + bx2 = 0
(2) cx1 + dx2 = 0

Hint: Find the echelon form of the associated matrix equation and from this echelon form and a relation/rule involving a; b; c; d so that the
augmented matrix has as many pivots as variables. If you have taken the determinant of 2 x 2 matrices then you can check your work.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to do this problem, I'm not completely sure what its asking of me. If someone could guide me through it that would really help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Reduce the matrix

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}
a & b\\
c & d
\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

to the identity by row operations. Remember you can't divide by zero so that may give you some conditions. You are already given that a isn't zero.

[a b | 0;
c d | 0]

[a b | 0;
c-(c/a)c d-(d/b)d | 0]

that doesn't seem right to me, I'm not sure what else I can do with it though...

am i at least on the right track?

I'm not sure what you did there, but it doesn't look like an elementary row operation.

To reduce the matrix, the first thing you want to do is turn the a into a 1, so you'd divide the first row by a, which you can do since you're given [itex]a\ne 0[/itex]. This would leave you with

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & b/a & 0 \\ c & d & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Do you see where to go from here?

oooh, sorry I didn't even think of that. Would i row reduce from here? Try to get b to equal zero?

SpiffyEh said:
oooh, sorry I didn't even think of that. Would i row reduce from here?
Yes, you would continue to row reduce. That's what the hint is telling you to do when it says to find the echelon form of the matrix. What should be your next step in getting to echelon form?

Try to get b to equal zero?
No, you should consider b a given value. You can't do anything to make b=0.

vela said:
Yes, you would continue to row reduce. That's what the hint is telling you to do when it says to find the echelon form of the matrix. What should be your next step in getting to echelon form?

No, you should consider b a given value. You can't do anything to make b=0.

oops sorry, i meant to say c. So i could do r2 = r2 - cr1 and get 0 where c is and d-(b/a)*c where d is

SpiffyEh said:
oops sorry, i meant to say c.
Oh, okay, what you meant by "b" was the upper-right entry in the matrix, not b itself. Likewise, you're not setting c to 0 now but the lower-left entry.
So i could do r2 = r2 - cr1 and get 0 where c is and d-(b/a)*c where d is
Right, so now you have the matrix

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}1 & b/a & 0 \\ 0 & d-(b/a)c & 0\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

which is now in echelon form. What does the rest of the hint tell you?

well I'm trying to find how to restrict it to where the trivial solution is the only solution but I'm not sure how to do this. It already has as many pivots as variables as long as d-c(b/a) isn't zero. I don't know how I would restrict it to only have a trivial solution.

As you noted, if d-c(b/a)≠0, you'll have a second pivot, and the reduced matrix will be

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}1 & b/a & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Once you have a reduced matrix, you can solve the system. What's the solution to this system? What turns out to be different if d-c(b/a)=0 so you don't get that second pivot?

vela said:
As you noted, if d-c(b/a)≠0, you'll have a second pivot, and the reduced matrix will be

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}1 & b/a & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Once you have a reduced matrix, you can solve the system. What's the solution to this system? What turns out to be different if d-c(b/a)=0 so you don't get that second pivot?

so... x+ (b/a)y = 0
and y = 0 is the solution to that matrix. what's different is if you don't have a 2nd pivot you have a free variable?

SpiffyEh said:
so... x+ (b/a)y = 0 and y = 0 is the solution to that matrix.
Well, those are the equations corresponding to matrix, not the solution. The solution is x=y=0.
whats different is if you don't have a 2nd pivot you have a free variable?
Yes, which means what about the possible solutions to the system?

vela said:
Well, those are the equations corresponding to matrix, not the solution. The solution is x=y=0.

Yes, which means what about the possible solutions to the system?
when it has a free variable it can have another solution other than the trivial

Exactly.

Thank you so much for all the help. I actually understand how ans why this works. Thanks again

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and linear transformations to solve problems related to systems of linear equations.

What does it mean for a system of linear equations to have existence and uniqueness?

A system of linear equations has existence if there exists at least one solution that satisfies all the equations in the system. It has uniqueness if there is only one solution that satisfies all the equations. In other words, the solution is both valid and unique.

Why is existence and uniqueness important in linear algebra?

Existence and uniqueness are important in linear algebra because they determine the solvability and uniqueness of solutions to systems of linear equations. They help us understand the behavior of a system and whether it has a single or multiple solutions.

How can we determine the existence and uniqueness of a system of linear equations?

The existence and uniqueness of a system of linear equations can be determined by evaluating the determinant of the coefficient matrix. If the determinant is non-zero, the system has a unique solution. If the determinant is zero, the system may have no solution or an infinite number of solutions.

What are some applications of existence and uniqueness in real-life situations?

Existence and uniqueness have various applications in real-life situations, such as in engineering, economics, computer graphics, and data analysis. For example, they can be used to model and analyze physical systems, optimize production processes, and solve problems related to network flow and transportation.