Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Link between Green Glow and Electron

1. Jun 27, 2015 #1
    hi,
    I just looking for Video on diffraction pattern of Electron, and noticed it produces green color pattern.
    Earlier in chapter, when cathode ray was discovered, it was mentioned that Green glow was Noticed.

What is the reason for this green color?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean when an electron beam strikes a phosphorescent screen? In that case, the electrons excite atoms or molecules in the screen upon impact. When those atoms or molecules relax to their ground state, they emit characteristic wavelengths of light which depend on the nature of the phosphorescent material. In the devices that I've used over the years, some have glowed green, others have glowed blue.

4. Jun 27, 2015 #3
    Hi, thank you very much for reply, I got it !
    I again watched the video and Yes it is just the screen glowing ..... Not the ray itself.

and I guess in cathode ray experiment, It contained gas at law pressure...! so light produced was due to ionization of gas.
    Thank you again.

5. Jun 28, 2015 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

That sounds likely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook