Linux: Videos play fastforward

In summary, Linux users may experience issues with videos playing too quickly or in fast forward. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as outdated or incompatible video drivers, incorrect video settings, or hardware limitations. To resolve this issue, users can try updating their video drivers, adjusting their video settings, or using a different media player. They may also need to check their hardware specifications to ensure it is capable of playing videos smoothly.
EngWiPy
Hello,

Everything was just fine, and today when I opened Ubuntu on VirtualBox, the videos on YouTube played fastforward (and the voice as well). I googled this issue, and the solution seemed to change the audio output option as System>Preferences>Sound>Output Then select "Internal Audio Analog Stereo Stereo", but I don't have this option. What else can I do to solve this issue? I also have Linux Mint, and it suffers from the same problem. It does seem that turning off the output audio makes the videos play in normal speed, but there will be no voice!

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Time to learn lip reading ?

This video walks you through some steps. It may be what you tried already but may be not.

jedishrfu said:
... It may be what you tried already but may be not.

It is, actually.

S_David said:
... and the solution seemed to change the audio output option as System>Preferences>Sound>Output Then select "Internal Audio Analog Stereo Stereo", but I don't have this option.

I don't know the Ubuntu version you're running but regardless if you go to "Sound" tab , "All Settings", (sub)tab "Output", "Play sound through" there is the option "Analogue Output". Did you try this?

QuantumQuest said:
I don't know the Ubuntu version you're running but regardless if you go to "Sound" tab , "All Settings", (sub)tab "Output", "Play sound through" there is the option "Analogue Output". Did you try this?

Yes, I did. Didn't work. I use Ubuntu 16.10, but I yesterday installed a new version 16.04.3 LTS, with the same problem! It seems to happen on all Linux OSs on my computer. I checked the Flash Player, and it is deactivated and marked as vulnerable software or something, and I cannot activate or install it. I am not sure if this has anything to do with my problem! I also tried different commands as it worked with some users, like

Code:
pulseaudio -k
killall pulseaudio

but didn't work for me.

S_David said:
I checked the Flash Player, and it is deactivated and marked as vulnerable software or something, and I cannot activate or install it.

Did you try to install the adobe-flushplugin package? This is for both Firefox and Chromium like web browsers. In order to get it make sure that the Canonical partner repository is activated (there have been issues with errors related to old repositories so that's why I 'm pointing this out). Then run

Code:
sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin

QuantumQuest said:
Did you try to install the adobe-flushplugin package? This is for both Firefox and Chromium like web browsers. In order to get it make sure that the Canonical partner repository is activated (there have been issues with errors related to old repositories so that's why I 'm pointing this out). Then run

Code:

Yes, the Canonical Partners is checked. I tried to run this command before, it gives me the following error:

Code:
E: Unable to locate package adobe-flashplugin

S_David said:
I tried to run this command before, it gives me the following error:
Code:
 E: Unable to locate package adobe-flashplugin

Do you have "canonical" in your "/etc/apt/sources.list"? Check and if not add the line

Code:
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu yakkety partner
Then run
Code:
sudo apt update

If you already have it then I would recommend to install all the multimedia plugins and libraries needed for .mp3 and video formats by running

Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

This will also install adobe flash player.

Last edited:
How can I check "/etc/apt/sources.list"? I put this in the terminal and it gave me "Permission denied". Then I went to Software & Updates window, I checked the "other software" tap, there was canonical partner, and when I added

Code:
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu yakkety partner

it added (Source Code) at the end. So, I have duplicates now. Shall I remove one?

Anyway, after that I tried to update using

Code:
sudo apt update

and I got a bunch of errors saying that

Code:
X: The repository Y does not have a Release file

with different Xs and Ys! What does this mean?

S_David said:
How can I check "/etc/apt/sources.list"?

You can open the "sources.list" file using some editor e.g. nano. Run

Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Take note that before making any modification to your "sources.list" file you have to create a back up in order to be on the safe side. You can do this by running

Code:
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak

Alternately, if you try to add a line to the file from a terminal and get "Permission denied" you can run
Code:
sudo su -c "echo 'deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu yakkety partner' >> /etc/apt/sources.list"

I have to point out that the method of using "su" is dangerous regarding grant of privileges so it is not to be used if there is no absolute need.

S_David said:
So, I have duplicates now. Shall I remove one?

One is enough.

S_David said:
Anyway, after that I tried to update using

Code:
sudo apt update

and I got a bunch of errors saying that

Code:
X: The repository Y does not have a Release file

with different Xs and Ys! What does this mean?

It has no files for your version.

Last edited:
I checked the canonical and it was in the sources.list. Running the command

Code:

gives me the following message:

Code:
W: Target Sources (main/source/Sources) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list: 2 and /etc/apt/sources.list: 7
E: Unable to locate package ubuntu-restricted-extras

What does this mean?

S_David said:
I checked the canonical and it was in the sources.list. Running the command

Code:

gives me the following message:

Code:
W: Target Sources (main/source/Sources) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list: 2 and /etc/apt/sources.list: 7
E: Unable to locate package ubuntu-restricted-extras

There seems a duplicates in the lines specified above (2 and 7 in the sources.list). These lines read as (counted from the first line)

Code:
 Line2: deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety main retricted

Line7: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety main retricted

Did you add the line I mentioned in the "sources.list" file or there was already a duplicate in there? Also, I see that you've edited your last post - it was previously what I've quoted above. I say it because I see two typos there i.e. in
Code:
Line2: deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety main retricted

Line7: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety main retricted

the word "retrictred" instead of "restricted".

Is it like that in your file or it was just a typo in the post?

Last edited:
I didn't add anything to the sources.list. After I found the canonical line, I exited the file.

My mistake, both are "restricted". Yes, they were typos in the post. I was typing the line manually. I edited my post, because I found out that the second line, namely

Code:
Line7: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety main restricted

is in fact line 6 not 7 in sources.list. Line 7 (again counting from the first line with a #, and the count includes empty lines) is

Code:
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety universe multiverse main

QuantumQuest said:
So, are there any duplicates?

I have these lines

Code:
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety main restricted

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety main restricted

Are they duplicates because of -src in the first line?

S_David said:
Are they duplicates because of -src in the first line?

They are not. The deb-src repos contain the source code files for the software which is in binary form in the deb repos.

I don't see any identical lines. Now what can I do?

You can go to Ubuntu Software Center > edit > software sources and see in the "Ubuntu Software" tab if (main), (universe), (restricted), (multiverse) boxes are checked (if not check them) and in the "Other Software" tab do the same for Canonical Partners and Independent. Then run

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
and check if it solved the problem of getting the ubuntu-restricted-extras.

In Ubuntu Software tab all are checked, even the Source Code (shall I remove this?). In Other Software tab the Canonical Partners is checked, but I don't have Independent!

S_David said:
In Ubuntu Software tab all are checked, even the Source Code (shall I remove this?).

The source code is useful if you want to download it and compile it yourself so it's up to you if you need it or not.

S_David said:
In Other Software tab the Canonical Partners is checked, but I don't have Independent!

Never mind I talk based on one of my distros so no problem for Independent.

It did some updates, but at the end it displayed messages like:

The repository ... doesn't have a Release file.
Failed to fetch .../sources/Sources 404 Not Found
Data from such respiratory cannot be authenticated ..

and the problem is still there!

S_David said:
It did some updates, but at the end it displayed messages like:

The repository ... doesn't have a Release file.
Failed to fetch .../sources/Sources 404 Not Found
Data from such respiratory cannot be authenticated ..

and the problem is still there!

The point is if it installed flash plugin. You must manage to install it in order to see if it solves anything - I have already seen quite a few video playing issues related to Flash but I obviously can't tell for sure that this is the problem in your case. If not then the most probable culprit is video drivers. As for the messages after the update process I think that they're pretty much self explanatory so you can easily cope with them.

I installed and ran

Code:
pavucontrol

and when I went to the Configuration tab and put the output to off, the videos played normally, but with no voice. Doesn't this indicate an audio problem?

Regrading Flash Player, how can I know I installed it? As I said before, when I tried

Code:

it gave me that the package cannot be located.

The error messages I mentioned weren't happening before. Why are they happening now? and the question is: are they related to the problem at hand? I remember that this version 16.10 was supported for a limited time, but I am not sure if this is the reason, but I have another version and another distribution, and all suffer from the same problem!

The problem is fixed by unistalling VB and all the OSs in it, and installing the last versions of VB and Ubuntu (17.10).

1. Why are my videos playing in fast forward on Linux?

This could be due to a number of reasons, including outdated video drivers, incorrect video settings, or a problem with the video player itself. It is recommended to try updating your video drivers and checking your video settings first, and if the issue persists, try using a different video player.

2. How do I fix fast forwarding videos on Linux?

If updating your video drivers and checking your settings does not resolve the issue, try using a different video player. You can also try adjusting the playback speed settings in your current video player to see if that helps. It is also a good idea to check for any software updates for your video player.

3. Can a slow internet connection cause videos to play in fast forward on Linux?

No, a slow internet connection should not cause videos to play in fast forward on Linux. However, it may cause buffering or other issues with video playback. If you suspect your internet connection is the issue, try watching the same video on a different device or network to see if the problem persists.

4. Are there any specific video formats that may cause fast forwarding on Linux?

Yes, certain video formats may not be fully supported on Linux, which could cause fast forwarding or other playback issues. It is recommended to check the compatibility of your video format with your chosen video player. You may also need to install additional codecs or plugins to properly play certain video formats on Linux.

5. Can a hardware issue cause videos to play in fast forward on Linux?

While it is possible that a hardware issue could cause fast forwarding videos on Linux, it is unlikely. The most common causes of this issue are software-related, such as outdated drivers or incorrect settings. However, if you have ruled out all other possibilities, it may be worth checking for any hardware issues or conflicts.