Liquefied Petroleum Gas (GLP) Volume in Tanm

In summary: Volume is determined by the displacement (or uptake) of liquid and gas in a closed system. This displacement can be measured in a number of ways, but the most common are with a flow meter or a float gauge. There are a couple of ways you could measure the volume of GLP on the tank. One option is to install a flow meter and measure the amount of gas that is being displaced by the liquid. This information would give you an estimate of the tank's volume. Another option is to use a float gauge. A float gauge measures the displaced water in a closed system. This information would give you an estimate of the tank's volume.
Martin_1988
Hello. I am having some trouble with a work related problem. I have a GLP tank of 5000 litres capacity, and we actually have a pressure gauge on it measuring that the gas pressure on top of the liquid is above tolerance.
Based only on that data, we need to measure the volume that is being taken out every time that the gas tank is used. We don't have any flow meter or we don't have any data on what's the density of the GLP on the tank (we don't know the propane/butane proportions). Nothing, just the capacity, and the initial and final pressure before and after using the tank. Is there any way to measure the following:

1 - How much volume of liquid GLP is on the tank?

2 - How much volume is being taken out of the tank?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am struggling with this for days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Martin_1988 said:
Hello. I am having some trouble with a work related problem. I have a GLP tank of 5000 litres capacity, and we actually have a pressure gauge on it measuring that the gas pressure on top of the liquid is above tolerance.
Based only on that data, we need to measure the volume that is being taken out every time that the gas tank is used. We don't have any flow meter or we don't have any data on what's the density of the GLP on the tank (we don't know the propane/butane proportions). Nothing, just the capacity, and the initial and final pressure before and after using the tank. Is there any way to measure the following:

1 - How much volume of liquid GLP is on the tank?

2 - How much volume is being taken out of the tank?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am struggling with this for days.
Welcome to the PF.

Why don't you just install an in-line flow meter? That would seem to be the best approach.

Likes Nidum
Or a float gauge? The answer to the question is no, you can't find the volume/usage with the information you have.

1. What is Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)?

Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) is a type of fuel made up of a mixture of hydrocarbon gases, primarily propane and butane. It is a byproduct of natural gas processing and crude oil refining.

2. How is LPG measured?

LPG is typically measured in volume using metric units such as cubic meters or liters. In some countries, it is also measured in mass using kilograms. The volume of LPG in a tank can be determined by multiplying the tank's dimensions (length, width, and height) in cubic meters.

3. What factors affect the volume of LPG in a tank?

The volume of LPG in a tank can be affected by temperature and pressure. LPG is a liquid at low pressure and can expand significantly when heated. The volume of LPG also decreases as the temperature drops or when it is released from the tank at high pressure.

4. How is the volume of LPG in a tank calculated?

The volume of LPG in a tank can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which relates the pressure, temperature, and volume of a gas. The ideal gas law can be rearranged to solve for volume given the pressure and temperature of the LPG in the tank.

5. What is the importance of accurately measuring LPG volume in tanks?

Accurate measurement of LPG volume in tanks is crucial for safety and economic reasons. Overfilling a tank can lead to safety hazards, while underfilling can result in inefficient use of the LPG. It is also important for businesses to accurately account for the amount of LPG they have in stock for pricing and budgeting purposes.