List of HEP graduate programs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a list of top HEP graduate programs in the US and alternative resources for finding information on suitable programs. The conversation also touches on the issue of rankings and the importance of discussing options with an advisor.
d3nat
Hi,

I've been trying to find a list somewhere of some of the better HEP graduate programs in the US. I can't find anything specific to HEP though.

Does anyone know where I may be able to find this information (online)?
I know the some of the more prestigious schools have some of the best programs, and while I'll still apply to a few of these (2013 Fall), I also want to apply to some that I know I'll have a shot of getting into.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nabeshin said:
I wouldn't put too much weight in the actual rankings here, but here's a list to at least get you started:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ls/top-science-schools/string-theory-rankings

Thanks, browsed that and it was pretty much what I expected.
Looking to see if anyone might know of a more detailed list that doesn't only include the best programs out there because, as much as I'd love to be able to, my odds of getting into one of the best grad programs are much much lower than getting into a really good one, but not so top tenish.

Thanks though!

Try http://gradschoolshopper.com/ which is run by the American Institute of Physics. It doesn't have rankings, but it does allow you to filter schools according to research field. Select both "Particles and Fields" and "High Energy Physics." Most HEP programs seem to be listed under the first designation, including U of Michigan where I got my degree in experimental HEP.

Another helpful resource is the physicsgre.com forum. Every year, there's a large thread for applicants where they list their grades, scores, research, etc. and where they applied and were accepted. You can compare the people who listed high energy as their area of application, where they applied, and where they were accepted to get an idea. See for example the most recent 2012 thread:
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4274

d3nat said:
Looking to see if anyone might know of a more detailed list that doesn't only include the best programs out there

I'm pretty much in the same boat as d3nat. I've thoroughly searched through the "prestigious school list" for HEP (and PF, PGRE.com, and others), but I need some suggestions for more realistic schools. As enticing as applying to Berkeley, MIT, or Harvard may sound, I need some more suitable options to fill up my list.

Thanks.

bohr-ing said:
I'm pretty much in the same boat as d3nat. I've thoroughly searched through the "prestigious school list" for HEP (and PF, PGRE.com, and others), but I need some suggestions for more realistic schools. As enticing as applying to Berkeley, MIT, or Harvard may sound, I need some more suitable options to fill up my list.

Thanks.

The most realistic advice I can give beyond what I've already said is to talk to your advisor (assuming they're in the same field, else find someone who is). They can give you a much more in-depth break down of which schools have strong programs in subfield x than any ranking list could. Presumably, such a person is also familiar with your academic record and would be much more helpful than anyone here to give a realistic assessment of where you're likely to succeed.

1. What is the purpose of a list of HEP graduate programs?

A list of HEP graduate programs is a comprehensive collection of all the graduate programs in the field of high energy physics (HEP). This list serves as a resource for students who are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in HEP, providing them with information about the available programs and their respective universities.

2. How is a list of HEP graduate programs organized?

A list of HEP graduate programs is typically organized by country or region, followed by the specific universities that offer HEP graduate programs. Some lists may also include information about the program duration, degree options, and research areas of each program.

3. Are all HEP graduate programs included in the list?

No, it is not possible to include every single HEP graduate program in a list. However, the list aims to be as comprehensive as possible and regularly updates to include new programs. It is recommended to also research and consider other programs that may not be included in the list.

4. How can I use a list of HEP graduate programs?

A list of HEP graduate programs can be used as a starting point for researching and comparing different programs. It can help you identify potential universities and programs that align with your academic and research interests. You can also use the list to gather information about application requirements and deadlines.

5. Is a list of HEP graduate programs only for students interested in pursuing a career in academia?

No, a list of HEP graduate programs is useful for any student interested in pursuing a career in high energy physics, whether in academia or industry. The list includes programs that offer both academic and industry-focused tracks, allowing students to choose the path that best fits their career goals.