1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

List of HEP graduate programs?

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I've been trying to find a list somewhere of some of the better HEP graduate programs in the US. I can't find anything specific to HEP though.

Does anyone know where I may be able to find this information (online)?
    I know the some of the more prestigious schools have some of the best programs, and while I'll still apply to a few of these (2013 Fall), I also want to apply to some that I know I'll have a shot of getting into.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3
  5. Jun 27, 2012 #4

Thanks, browsed that and it was pretty much what I expected.
    Looking to see if anyone might know of a more detailed list that doesn't only include the best programs out there because, as much as I'd love to be able to, my odds of getting into one of the best grad programs are much much lower than getting into a really good one, but not so top tenish.

Thanks though!

6. Jun 27, 2012 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Try http://gradschoolshopper.com/ which is run by the American Institute of Physics. It doesn't have rankings, but it does allow you to filter schools according to research field. Select both "Particles and Fields" and "High Energy Physics." Most HEP programs seem to be listed under the first designation, including U of Michigan where I got my degree in experimental HEP.

7. Jun 28, 2012 #6

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Another helpful resource is the physicsgre.com forum. Every year, there's a large thread for applicants where they list their grades, scores, research, etc. and where they applied and were accepted. You can compare the people who listed high energy as their area of application, where they applied, and where they were accepted to get an idea. See for example the most recent 2012 thread:
    http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4274

8. Jul 23, 2012 #7
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as d3nat. I've thoroughly searched through the "prestigious school list" for HEP (and PF, PGRE.com, and others), but I need some suggestions for more realistic schools. As enticing as applying to Berkeley, MIT, or Harvard may sound, I need some more suitable options to fill up my list.

Thanks.

9. Jul 23, 2012 #8

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

The most realistic advice I can give beyond what I've already said is to talk to your advisor (assuming they're in the same field, else find someone who is). They can give you a much more in-depth break down of which schools have strong programs in subfield x than any ranking list could. Presumably, such a person is also familiar with your academic record and would be much more helpful than anyone here to give a realistic assessment of where you're likely to succeed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook