Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

List of materials and their damping properties

1. Aug 14, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

I've finished a hypothetical problem in which I have determined the optimum damping ratio $\zeta$ for a specific system. This [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value (0.265 in my case) minimizes the peak force transmitted through an object.

My next step is to take this [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value and find some sort of "real-world" material or product (wood, cork, rubber, commercial-off-the-shelf damper, etc), that has a [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value close to this so that I can basically say: "Here's the ideal [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value, here's how close you can get to that using this material or that material".

I'm not sure where I can find a list of common materials and their associated damping ratios, or if such a list even exists in the first place? Any advice? thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2008 #2
    You've got me curious. I take it you have distinct elements: one with mass, one providing a spring constant, and one dampening element in one dimension.

Zeta doesn't seem to be a property of bulk materials, but would depend upon the shape of a solid damping element. In a one dimensional problem, and simple geometry, it would depend upon cross sectional area and length of the element, so seems to have units of D^-1 (or D^1).

But I'm beginning to think that the idea is to use a liquid, where you obtain zeta dependent upon the viscosity of the fluid.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?