Literature survey - wing surface roughness effect on performance

In summary, the surface roughness on a wing can reduce the lift to drag ratio, which can lead to a decrease in altitude.
MattH150197

Homework Statement

I am currently trying to do a literature survey on my project task 'effect of wing surface roughness on wing performance'. I have been struggling to find many research papers that are of a similar experiment to mine, however i have come across many that investigate the effect of ice build up on a wing, should i use this? and have been reading through the conclusions to try and find where i could progress from their experiment and investigate some problems they may have came across or areas they had not researched but all the conclusions seem to pretty straight forward that surface roughness on a wing leads to a decreased L/D ratio. It is really annoying me that this part is taking me so long, would really appreciate some ideas. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The issue with ice build up it that it tends to form on a wing in a manner that reduces the lift. If angle of attack is increased to compensate, the ice formation will continue to further reduce lift, until the lift to drag ratio goes below what is needed for an aircraft to maintain altitude.

In the case of gliders, the surface of a wing can be too smooth, resulting in a separation bubble near the transition from laminar flow to turbulent flow (where it usually reattaches), and form/profile drag is increased due to the separation bubble. By roughing up the surface a small amount (like 600 grit sandpaper on a fiberglass wing) or even using turbulators, the transition to turbulent flow occurs earlier, eliminating or reducing the size of the separation bubble:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbulator

Last edited:
Likes MattH150197
I haven't looked for papers but I'd be surprised if a lot of research hadn't been done.

When I flew gliders our club had one glider with a relatively thin wing section. This meant that when wet the increased stall speed could get a bit too close to the maximum winching speed for comfort. For that reason the wing was always dried carefully if it got rained on.

Last edited:

1. What is a literature survey?

A literature survey is a comprehensive review of existing published research and information on a specific topic. It involves identifying, collecting, and analyzing relevant literature to gain a thorough understanding of the current state of knowledge on the topic.

2. Why is a literature survey important for studying the effect of wing surface roughness on performance?

A literature survey is important for studying the effect of wing surface roughness on performance because it provides a foundation of existing knowledge and research in the field. It allows for a better understanding of the current understanding of the topic, potential research gaps, and areas for further investigation.

3. How do you conduct a literature survey?

A literature survey can be conducted by searching academic databases, such as Google Scholar, for relevant articles and publications. It is important to use specific keywords and criteria to ensure the literature collected is relevant to the topic. The collected literature should then be critically analyzed and organized to identify common themes and trends.

4. What are some potential factors that can affect the performance of a wing due to surface roughness?

Some potential factors that can affect the performance of a wing due to surface roughness include aerodynamic drag, lift, and stability. Surface roughness can also impact the formation of boundary layers and separation of airflow, which can further affect the overall performance of a wing.

5. What are some potential solutions to mitigate the negative effects of wing surface roughness on performance?

Some potential solutions to mitigate the negative effects of wing surface roughness on performance include design modifications, such as using airfoil shapes with better performance in turbulent flow conditions and utilizing surface treatments to reduce roughness. Computational simulations and wind tunnel testing can also be used to optimize wing design and improve performance.