Can surface roughness on wings improve performance

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of surface roughness on wing performance and the use of turbulators to control turbulent flow. The use of 600 grit sandpaper on fiberglass gliders and oil flow tests are mentioned as methods for studying this effect. The conversation also touches on the use of vortex generators on commercial aircraft as an alternative to turbulators.
MattH150197

Homework Statement

I have a project to research the effect of surface roughness on wing performance. I found mostly that roughness leads to increased drag on a wing, however came across a website that briefly spoke about how recently researchers have observed how carefully selected roughness can suppress turbulent flow on the wing by delaying the transition point so that it is further back on the wing or even past the wing. However i am struggling to find actual research papers on this so does anyone know where to find more information on this, or could share any knowledge that you have on this subject yourself. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes MattH150197
The idea of roughness or a turbulator is to cause the transition from laminar to turbulent flow to occur sooner, to reduce or avoid a separation bubble that increases profile drag. For fiberglass gliders, 600 grit wet sandpaper may be used to rough up the wings.

Since the links to web sites often change, I recommend doing a web search for "glider 600 grit" and also "glider oil flow". Oil flow tests involve putting a thin layer of oil on a wing, flying or testing the wing at speed, and noticing where the oil is not blown off by the air flow, which indicates a separation bubble.

Likes MattH150197
Thanks for the quick responses! I've had a quick research on turbulators but it seems that they are not used on commercial aircraft, unless I am mistaken which i may be, why is this?

Perhaps see also...
http://www.edge.aero/single-post/2016/04/17/Taming-Turbulence-With-Tape-Conformal-Vortex-Generators

Likes MattH150197

1. How does surface roughness on wings affect performance?

Surface roughness on wings can affect performance in several ways. It can improve the aerodynamic performance by creating a turbulent boundary layer, which reduces drag and increases lift. However, excessive roughness can also cause increased drag and decreased lift, leading to decreased performance. It ultimately depends on the specific design and purpose of the wing.

2. What materials are commonly used to create surface roughness on wings?

There are several materials that can be used to create surface roughness on wings. One common method is to use small bumps or dimples made from polymers or composites. Other materials such as sandpaper or small rivets can also be used to create roughness on the surface of the wing.

3. How is the roughness of a wing's surface measured and controlled?

The roughness of a wing's surface can be measured and controlled using various techniques. One common method is to use a laser profilometer to measure the surface roughness. The roughness can then be adjusted by altering the shape or size of the bumps or dimples on the wing's surface.

4. Can surface roughness on wings be used for different types of aircraft?

Yes, surface roughness on wings can be used for various types of aircraft. It is commonly used in commercial airplanes, but it can also be implemented in smaller aircraft such as drones and even in military aircraft. The type and degree of roughness may vary depending on the specific needs and requirements of the aircraft.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using surface roughness on wings?

While there are potential benefits to using surface roughness on wings, there can also be some disadvantages. Excessive roughness can cause increased drag and decreased lift, leading to lower performance. Additionally, the manufacturing process for creating surface roughness can be costly and time-consuming. It is essential to carefully consider the design and purpose of the wing before implementing surface roughness.