Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Little confused with tensor index manipulation

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1

kau

I am making mess of the following expression..
    i have following expression ## \frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{g_{\mu j}}} *g_{\nu j}=g \delta^{\mu} _{\nu} ##
    then I have sum over j only in the above expression.
    But above expression is nonzero only when ##{\mu}## is equal to ##\nu##.
    So we have ## \frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{g_{\mu j}}} *g_{\mu j}=g ## ....(a)
    I can understand that there is no ##\mu## dependence in right hand side so we have to sum over ##{\mu}## also. But doing the mathematical step just summing over ##{\nu}## gives equation in ##{\mu}## but in addition how the summation in that implied????
    Also now if I take partial derivative of the above expression (a) how it gives
    ## \frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{g_{\mu j}}} *\frac{\partial{g_{\mu j}}}{\partial{x^{i}}}=\frac {\partial{g}}{\partial{x^{i}}} ##
    ?? why the term like ## \frac{\partial^{2}{g}}{{\partial{g_{\mu j}}}{\partial{x^{i}}}} ## vanishes???
    please tell me what I am missing??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe you could clear things up for yourself if you explicitly used the sum sign rather than relying on the convention.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook