Solving Tensor Index Manipulation Confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses an expression involving partial derivatives and sums over indices. It is noted that the expression is only non-zero when a certain index is equal to another index. In order to properly account for all indices, the sum must also include the first index. Taking the partial derivative of the expression results in another equation, where the term involving the second partial derivative vanishes. There is confusion about the use of the sum sign, and it is suggested to use it explicitly to clarify the calculation.
kau
I am making mess of the following expression..
i have following expression ## \frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{g_{\mu j}}} *g_{\nu j}=g \delta^{\mu} _{\nu} ##
then I have sum over j only in the above expression.
But above expression is nonzero only when ##{\mu}## is equal to ##\nu##.
So we have ## \frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{g_{\mu j}}} *g_{\mu j}=g ## ...(a)
I can understand that there is no ##\mu## dependence in right hand side so we have to sum over ##{\mu}## also. But doing the mathematical step just summing over ##{\nu}## gives equation in ##{\mu}## but in addition how the summation in that implied?
Also now if I take partial derivative of the above expression (a) how it gives
## \frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{g_{\mu j}}} *\frac{\partial{g_{\mu j}}}{\partial{x^{i}}}=\frac {\partial{g}}{\partial{x^{i}}} ##
?? why the term like ## \frac{\partial^{2}{g}}{{\partial{g_{\mu j}}}{\partial{x^{i}}}} ## vanishes?
please tell me what I am missing??

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you could clear things up for yourself if you explicitly used the sum sign rather than relying on the convention.

What is tensor index manipulation confusion?

Tensor index manipulation confusion is a common issue encountered in the field of mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of tensors. It refers to the confusion or difficulty in understanding and manipulating the indices of tensors, which are used to represent the dimensions of a tensor and its components.

Why is solving tensor index manipulation confusion important?

Solving tensor index manipulation confusion is important because tensors are a fundamental concept in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to represent physical quantities such as forces, velocities, and electric fields, and understanding how to properly manipulate their indices is crucial for accurate calculations and analysis.

What are some common sources of tensor index manipulation confusion?

One common source of confusion is the Einstein summation convention, where repeated indices in a tensor equation imply summation. This can lead to errors if not properly understood. Another source is the use of different index notations, such as the upper and lower index notation or the abstract index notation, which can be confusing for those not familiar with them.

How can one overcome tensor index manipulation confusion?

One way to overcome tensor index manipulation confusion is by gaining a solid understanding of tensor notation and its rules. This includes understanding the Einstein summation convention, keeping track of indices and their positions, and knowing how to properly manipulate them using index raising and lowering. Additionally, practicing with examples and seeking clarification from experts can also help improve understanding.

Are there any tools or resources available to help with solving tensor index manipulation confusion?

Yes, there are various online resources, such as tutorials and videos, that can help with understanding and solving tensor index manipulation confusion. Additionally, there are software tools, such as Mathematica and TensorTools, that can assist with tensor manipulation and calculations. It is also helpful to consult textbooks and seek guidance from professors or colleagues who have a strong understanding of tensor notation.