1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Little help interpreting spectral data from an article

1. Jun 14, 2018 #1
    I'm trying to find a good database of absorption or reflection spectra in visible light for pigments.

I've found a wonderful database in this article: http://e-conservation.org/issue-2/36-FORS-spectral-database#CSV

It's almost exactly what I needed

Except I don't understand the data

The graphs in the article show a lot of reflectance values over 100% (and doesn't explain them) and the data in the CSV files have both numbers greater than 100 and lower than 0 (negative numbers), not to mention I don't know if those values are percentages (the same on the graphs of the article) or some signal intensity value.

I can't seem to find explanation for these things on the article.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2018 #2

mjc123

Science Advisor

I assume the numbers in the csv files are the same as the percentages in the graphs. The article explains that reflectance values are not absolute but are with reference to a white reflectance standard. If the sample reflects more strongly than the reference, the reflectance value is > 100%. The few negative numbers look like just the result of noise at low wavelengths.

4. Jun 14, 2018 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Seems crazy, on the face of it. There must be something in the 'small print' that allows for >100% reflectance. I have been skipping around a number of Google hits and the reference seems to be a 99% Spectralon diffuse reflectance standard, whatever that is. That makes it even more weird.
    On the face of it, you'd need some frequency shifting mechanism to get more out at a given frequency than is put in. Fluorescence happens in some materials but I thought it needed UV energies.

5. Jun 14, 2018 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

this isn't my field of expertise
    Am some others will chime in

@Dale @Andy Resnick

this comment in the introduction explains that part of the query

I am just also not sure how more than 100% is achieved ?

yes, exactly

6. Jun 14, 2018 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I guess this is so familiar to the 'experts' that they don't even feel the need to explain it away. Or perhaps it takes a Physicist to even notice something like this??? We have a 'learned intuition'.

7. Jun 14, 2018 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I've done a lot of these kinds of measurements, there could be a number of reasons why reflectance measurements > 100%, and unfortunately, I couldn't get a clear understanding of the measurement method from the article. For example: it's not clear if the reflectance measurement is 'normal' reflection or retroreflection (back reflection). It could be 'normal' (http://oceanoptics.com//wp-content/uploads/example-setup-reflectance-1.jpg), but it's not explicit. For normal incidence this doesn't matter, but it does for 45-degree angle incidence. Also, I didn't see in the article where they discuss a 'reflection standard': not only could certain materials reflect more than a standard material (like spectralon), if the material is more specular than the diffuse standard, the reflectance measurement could >100%.

A more complete reflectance specification is the 'bi-directional reflectance distribution function':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidirectional_reflectance_distribution_function

One other (probably minor) effect: the authors mention some of the pigments fluoresce; if they illuminate the sample with white light some of the short-wavelength energy will convert to longer wavelengths increasing the apparent reflectance.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted