1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Little needed with homework

1. Oct 29, 2004 #1
    A 30.3 N child is in a swing that is attached to ropes 2.14 m long. What is the gravitational potential energy when the ropes make a 30.9° angle with the vertical?

So far ive tried 6 different answers ranging between 0-64.8 J and no luck. Need a clue to get me on the right track. Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2004 #2
    You know [itex]E_{gravitational potential}=mgh[/itex], where h is height off the ground and m is mass. I believe you must assume that when the ropes make an angle of 0 with the vertical h=0. Does that help?
  4. Oct 29, 2004 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Pretend that its like those incline questions.
  5. Oct 29, 2004 #4
    I did assume that when the angle is zero E=0 and when the angle is 90 E=mgh=64.8, so I thought the answer would be (sin30.9)(mgh), but that answer was incorrect. I also tried (sin59.1)(mgh) which was also incorrect, Im not sure where to go from here.
  6. Oct 29, 2004 #5
    Well I think when the kid swings up to make a [itex]30.9^\circ[/itex] with the vertical, his height above the ground is increased. By how much? The answer is

[tex]R \cos (30.9^\circ)[/tex]

So the kid's [itex]U=mg(R\cos (30.8^\circ))[/itex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?