Calculating Gravitational Potential Energy of a Child on a Swing

• Thread starter nazarip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the gravitational potential energy of the 30.3 N child in the swing attached to ropes 2.14 m long is equal to mgRcos(30.9°), where R is the height above the ground and m is the mass. This can be derived from the formula E_gravitational potential = mgh, where h is the height off the ground. The angle of 30.9° must be taken into account when calculating the height above the ground.
nazarip
A 30.3 N child is in a swing that is attached to ropes 2.14 m long. What is the gravitational potential energy when the ropes make a 30.9° angle with the vertical?

So far I've tried 6 different answers ranging between 0-64.8 J and no luck. Need a clue to get me on the right track. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know [itex]E_{gravitational potential}=mgh[/itex], where h is height off the ground and m is mass. I believe you must assume that when the ropes make an angle of 0 with the vertical h=0. Does that help?

Pretend that its like those incline questions.

I did assume that when the angle is zero E=0 and when the angle is 90 E=mgh=64.8, so I thought the answer would be (sin30.9)(mgh), but that answer was incorrect. I also tried (sin59.1)(mgh) which was also incorrect, I am not sure where to go from here.

Well I think when the kid swings up to make a [itex]30.9^\circ[/itex] with the vertical, his height above the ground is increased. By how much? The answer is

[tex]R \cos (30.9^\circ)[/tex]

So the kid's [itex]U=mg(R\cos (30.8^\circ))[/itex]

What is "Little needed with homework"?

"Little needed with homework" is a phrase that refers to the idea that students do not need a lot of materials or resources in order to successfully complete their homework assignments. It suggests that with the right mindset and approach, students can complete their homework with minimal help or external resources.

Why is "Little needed with homework" important?

This concept is important because it promotes self-sufficiency and independence in students. It encourages them to take ownership of their learning and develop problem-solving skills. It also helps to reduce the reliance on outside resources and promotes critical thinking.

How can "Little needed with homework" be applied in the classroom?

In order to apply "Little needed with homework" in the classroom, teachers can provide students with clear instructions and expectations for their homework assignments. It is also helpful to teach students effective study skills and time management techniques so they can complete their homework efficiently. Additionally, teachers can encourage students to ask questions and seek help when needed, but also promote independence by allowing them to work through problems on their own.

What are the benefits of implementing "Little needed with homework"?

Implementing "Little needed with homework" can lead to several benefits for students. It can help them develop critical thinking skills, time management skills, and self-discipline. It can also lead to a sense of accomplishment and confidence in their abilities to complete tasks on their own. Additionally, it can help students develop a positive attitude towards homework and learning in general.

Are there any drawbacks to "Little needed with homework"?

While there are many benefits to promoting "Little needed with homework," there may be some drawbacks as well. For students who struggle with time management or have difficulty understanding the material, this approach may not be as effective. In these cases, it may be beneficial for students to have access to additional resources and support to successfully complete their homework assignments.