Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Live Quiz During PF Chats

1. Jul 12, 2008 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

We will be conducting a trial run of a possible Quiz contest during our regular Sunday PF Chats. Our first trial run (there may be more if necessary) will be this coming Sunday, July 12, 2008, starting at 10:30 am US Central Daylight Time.

A "Quiz" chat room will be opened at that time for this contest. All interested members are invited to join and/or participate in the contest. Simply by joining the room, you are eligible to participate in the quiz. You may join and leave at any time. This is how we will run the quiz.

1. Members in the chat room are asked to not carry any conversation other than answering the question, or seeking clarification. This will prevent clutter on the screen and allows for a clear presentation of the question and answer.

2. The FIRST member to answer the question correctly as determined by what is displayed on the chat screen will receive 1 point. The quiz moderator will acknowledge the answer by saying "{PFmember} correct", where PFmember is the member's PF username.

3. There will be a time limit of approximately 1 minute after the question is asked. If no correct answer is given, the answer will be revealed and the next question will be asked.

4. The quiz can be on any topic in a given week.

5. Periodically during the quiz, the top 3 scores will be displayed. At the end of the quiz, the top 3 scorers will be displayed and an honor roll will be posted in a Sticky thread in the General Discussion forum.

6. We are still trying to work out the kinks in running this, so there will more changes to come.

7. All regular chat and PF rules are enforced.

8. This meant to be fun. Anyone taking this too the extreme will be spanked! :)

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2008 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So if someone answers a question with "Kirchoff" a fraction of a second before I answer with "Kirchhoff", and that person gets the point (despite the spelling error), and I argue that (i) they had the wrong spelling, and (ii) they were quicker only because they had to type in fewer characters, and generally throw a tantrum ... then I get spanked?

This is unfair! I protest!

:biggrin:

4. Jul 12, 2008 #3
    What if some like to be spanked?

5. Jul 12, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Nah, In this case, Zz would just ban both of you. :biggrin:

6. Jul 12, 2008 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Looks like I will definitely have to get my really-big paddle ready for tomorrow.

Zz.

7. Jul 12, 2008 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Joking aside, this (the Quiz, not the paddling) sounds like a great idea!

8. Jul 12, 2008 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This sounds like a good idea. What are the topics on the quiz? Science? Or just general trivia?

9. Jul 12, 2008 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There will probably be a particular topic each week. As for the one tomorrow, you will just have to tune in and see.

Zz.

10. Jul 12, 2008 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Count me in.

11. Jul 12, 2008 #10

Lisa!

Gold Member

Wha do you want to use the next time? I remember you began smacking people with boson
    and now...:uhh:

12. Jul 12, 2008 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well the bosons were too heavy and not strong enough, so he switched to Composite Bosons. But nowadays it's almost always the Heavy Firmions.

13. Jul 12, 2008 #12

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you saying that some want a brand new spanking quiz, as well as a brand spanking new quiz?

14. Jul 13, 2008 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Just a reminder that our first ever Chat Quiz (Beta versioin 1.0) will begin today at 10:30 am CDT.

Zz.

15. Jul 13, 2008 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is the quiz designed to be Google proof, or will Googling produce the answer?

16. Jul 13, 2008 #15
    How can a quiz be google proof ?

marlon

17. Jul 13, 2008 #16

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If one only has a minute to answer then I imagine it should be pretty google proof, unless everyone does not know the answer.

18. Jul 13, 2008 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, the quiz isn't google proof. However, it is "knowledge" proof, since inevitably, someone who knows the answer will enter an answer faster than someone who has to google for it. There will be, however, questions that you can't google easily.

I also expect that within that 1-minute limit, there will be time to google for the answer if everyone does not know the answer immediately.

Zz.

19. Jul 13, 2008 #18

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Just prepare a list of possible answers, so that all one has to do is cut and paste the answer. :biggrin:

20. Jul 13, 2008 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are ways. Most of the quizzes I made in GD were designed to be at least Google-hard, if not Google-proof. But this would be very hard to do if the questions involve things like quotations.

21. Jul 13, 2008 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Zz,

Is there a limitation on number of guesses per person per question, or can I just keep shooting out all the possible thoughts that come to my mind, hoping that one of them will click?

And a word of advice: save a couple questions for tie-breakers (if required) or to replace questions that "go bad" (for unexpected reasons).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?