LMTO - Creating Electronic Canonical bands of BCC lattice

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with generating the Canonical band for d-d orbital for BCC lattice using the LMTO method. They have correctly followed the formula for generating the Structure constant matrix S and have accounted for the directional cosines for the BCC lattice but are encountering issues with the matrix being already diagonal and the eigenvalues being degenerate. Suggestions are given to double check calculations and data, as well as potentially trying different directional cosines.
espoir
Hello,

I need help with the Canonical band of BCC lattice (Linear Muffin Tin Orbitals method)

I am trying to generate the Canonical (electronic) band for d-d orbital for BCC lattice; this can be done by diagonalizing the Structure constant matrix S(l,m,l',m'), (with l,m, l',m' being the quantum numbers). However, I run into the problem of my matrices being already diagonal, and the eigenvalues (which are the energies) are all doubly and triply degenerate at all k points (along all high symmetry direction), which is not supposed to be.

The formula for S is stated in Andersen (Linear Methods in Band Theory, 1984) - which I used Table I to generate S, with directional cosines l,m, n for BCC lattice being (+_ 1/sqrt3, +-1/sqrt(3), +-1/sqrt(3)) - 8 combinations in all, representing 8 nearest neighbors of the BCC lattice . The 5-by-5 S matrix is generated by taking the sum of each S (over 8 nearest neighbors, transformed to k-space).

Could anyone familiar with LMTO method help me please?
Many thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I am familiar with the LMTO method and would be happy to assist you with generating the Canonical band for d-d orbital for BCC lattice. It sounds like you have correctly followed the formula for generating the Structure constant matrix S and have accounted for the directional cosines for the BCC lattice. However, it is possible that there may be errors in your calculations or in the data used to generate the matrix.

One suggestion I have is to double check your calculations and make sure that all the values used to generate the S matrix are correct. It is also possible that there may be an error in the data you used to generate the matrix, so it may be helpful to cross-reference with other sources or to consult with other scientists who have used the LMTO method for BCC lattice.

Another suggestion is to try using a different set of directional cosines for the BCC lattice. While the ones you have used are commonly used, there may be slight variations depending on the specific data and calculations being used. Experimenting with different directional cosines may help to identify any potential errors in your calculations.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck with your research!

Related to LMTO - Creating Electronic Canonical bands of BCC lattice

1. What is LMTO and how does it work?

LMTO stands for Linear Muffin-Tin Orbital and it is a computational method used to calculate the electronic structure of materials. It works by dividing the material into small regions, or muffin-tins, and then using a linear combination of atomic orbitals to describe the electronic wave function within each muffin-tin.

2. What is a BCC lattice?

BCC stands for Body-Centered Cubic and it is a type of crystal lattice structure commonly found in metals. It consists of a cube-shaped unit cell with an atom at each corner and one in the center of the cube.

3. How does LMTO create electronic canonical bands for a BCC lattice?

LMTO uses the concept of the electronic band structure to create canonical bands for a BCC lattice. This involves calculating the energy levels of electrons as they move through the crystal lattice, taking into account the interactions between neighboring atoms. The resulting bands show the allowed energy levels for electrons in the material.

4. What is the significance of electronic canonical bands in materials research?

Electronic canonical bands provide important information about the electronic properties of a material. They can reveal the material's electrical conductivity, magnetic properties, and other electronic behavior. They are also used to predict and understand the behavior of materials in different environments and under different conditions.

5. Can LMTO be used to study other lattice structures besides BCC?

Yes, LMTO can be used to study a variety of crystal lattice structures, including FCC (Face-Centered Cubic), HCP (Hexagonal Close-Packed), and many others. However, the specific parameters and calculations may differ depending on the lattice structure being studied.