Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loading Issues

1. Mar 18, 2006 #1
    I am having trouble with PF loading. For some reason medals dont show up, some latex wont work, but if I refresh the page then they show up, right now one of the smileys is an empty box but the rest are there, the image for the center text is missing. Some things are empty with a red x on the jpg. If I keep refreshing it goes away sometimes.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

:mad: Me too! But it is a symptom of internetus interruptus that we have been experiencing for 3 days now! :mad: :mad: :grumpy:

Anyone else had internet problems recently?

4. Mar 18, 2006 #3

Evo

I haven't had any problems like that. What browser are you using cyrus?

edit: just saw that Astronuc's trouble is staying connected

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  5. Mar 18, 2006 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am on comcast and have been loosing connection briefly several times a day. Is anyone else with comcast having problems?

6. Mar 18, 2006 #5
    I use Verizon DSL, but I know its not my internet thats the problem.

7. Mar 18, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Even before the internet connectivity issues, ocassionally I have page loading problems. I use IE6 but either XP or Win2K OS. XP has ocassionally been problematic, but that seems to be PC dependent.

8. Mar 18, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Have you tried cleaning out the browser cache or "Temporary Internet Files"?

Also, make sure Adware cookies are deleted. It helps to have an Adware blocker.

This is stuff like tribalfusion, casalmedia, and a host of others which do stuff every time the browser is activated. Not only does it affect the browser, but it can affect the system performance as well. I also found a "spam bouncer program" that some how got onto one of my PC's. The only evidence I could readily find was a registry key. :grumpy:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  9. Mar 18, 2006 #8
    I tried that lets see what happens.

10. Mar 18, 2006 #9
    IE6 Astronuc?! :bugeye: :groan:

11. Mar 18, 2006 #10

Evo

Internet Explorer does seem to have less issues than Firefox. Spawn uses Firefox and when I use her computer I always encounter weird problems viewing certain things. Like my e-mail in my sent box can't be read using Firefox, they appear blank, I can read them just fine with IE.

12. Mar 18, 2006 #11

Astronuc

:yuck:
    Yeah, tell me about it. :grumpy:

13. Mar 18, 2006 #12
    I use internet explorer 6 and never had any issues with it.

14. Mar 18, 2006 #13

JamesU

Gold Member

This used to happen ith the old PF. All I ould get it the background and none of the main content. With the new PF, it's happend to me only once..

15. Mar 18, 2006 #14
    Im still not loading all the things :cry:

16. Mar 18, 2006 #15
    That depends on how you define issue. If you don't consider security or features an issue, then IE is great!

17. Mar 18, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I installed Firefox on the PC in the lab for those late nights I'm trapped in the lab and have a long series of 5 min incubations that keep me from escaping very far. I've never had any problems with that. I've even "caught" a few of the other people in the lab using it since I've installed it. :biggrin: (They made fun of me for being a "geek" for installing it in the first place...according to them, only geeks care what browser they use. :rofl:)

18. Mar 18, 2006 #17
    My PF still loads funny! :cry: :cry: :cry:!!

19. Mar 19, 2006 #18

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Uhmm, do you mean LaTeX images not loading correctly? If so, may you show me that page?
    I dunno but everything seems to work quite well to me. (yeah, apart from some downtimes I experienced several days ago..., not now any more) :smile:

20. Mar 19, 2006 #19

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For me the edit button doesn't seem to work. I need to clear my cache, refresh the page and then click on the edit button each time to make it work.

21. Mar 19, 2006 #20

JamesU

Gold Member

One of my friends used to tell me that when I got firefox(and then opera) but he installed firefox on his computer and I'm pretty sure that's all he uses now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?